Lagavulin 16 year old

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puff Daddy

Reaction score
Finally broke down and got a bottle. The grand monarch of malts from the Queen of the Hebrides, Islay. A lot of build up and expectation to trying this one.

First the short and sweet down and dirty. Yes, it's very, very good, and is a very refined malt. It stands out above it's neighbors Ardbeg and Laphroaig as far as that goes, it's much more genteel and royal, and it definitely has plenty of smoke. But, it lacks the bold complexity that both Ardbeg and Laphroaig possess.

I like it. In fact, I took some to my brothers house on sunday when the family gathered for mothers day and he was quite impressed. I was quite impressed. It's sweet on the arrival, the sweetness sticks around and mingles with the smoke, there's a little spice in the background. The nose is sweet smoke, buttery, vegetal. It lacks the phenolic blast, the oiliness, the medicinal qualities of it's cousins. It's smoother and easier to drink than it's cousins. The finish is long, stays sweet, but not overly honeyed or syrupy like some Speysiders can be.

In my own mind, if I'd not known it's provenance and someone handed me that first glass to taste blindly, I'd have guessed it was a reaaly great Highland malt that was built on peated barley. It seems that way to me, more like a Highland whisky in nature than an Islay malt, probably because my only experiences with Islay malts are the 10 year old versions of Ardbeg and Laphroaig.

If I were ranking it in a group with all scotch single malts in general I'd rank it very, very high, right below Aberlour A'Bunadh, and that's saying a lot, as that stuff is damned amazing! But ranking it as an Islay, representing the storied bold whiskies of that faire isle, I'd still rank Ardbeg higher simply because Ardbeg 10 is the most impressive peat bomb, phenolic, oily, frikkin amazing multi dimensional representation I've come across.

So I can say that it's damned fine stuff, I'd buy it again to break out on special occasions (it's prohibitively pricey), but I was also just ever so slightly disappointed that it wasn't the King of the peated whiskies. But, admittedly, that's my own preconcieved and barely educated notions about what I should have expected. Very likely that, in time and with more Islays under my belt, my opinion might change on that part.

Enjoyed a glass the other night, and it always surprises me how rich in color it is.
Definitely agree with you on the refined grace of this grand single malt. Definitely one to approach with a measured respect, and pace.

I understand that there's a 12 year old cask strength Version, but I'm not sure if it's available in the states. That could be pretty interesting..... I can definitely see why so many people hold Lagavulin 16 in such high regard. If you took those bold young malts of Ardbeg and Laphroaig and reformed them into a well mannered aristocrat, smoothed over with grace and wisdom, you'd get Lagavulin 16 :king:

Not being a professional quaffer of single malts, just a common sewer I find that Lagavulin is the most balanced and tasteful of all Islay Malts. Personally I find it more phenolic than others, and not quite as peaty. Drinking Ardbeg or Laphroaig is almost like having to chew the malted barley, being for my taste too much of a good thing. Meaning smoke and peat.
As for the Abelour A'Bunadh, I consider that the finest cask strength produced today. Next would be Macallan Cask.
Like good tobaccos it's all a matter of personal preference but fun to hear other folks' descriptions and likes.

Puff Daddy":0y9hpr33 said:
I understand that there's a 12 year old cask strength Version, but I'm not sure if it's available in the states.
Actually, I think I've had the chance to taste this a while ago. And I can say with confidence it was the best whisky I have ever tasted. Granted my experience isn't huge.... but it was just too good. I remember blubbering to the person spoiling me: This stuff is floating in my mouth.

*sigh* I should get a proper job. Reading about aclohol and tobacco here makes my near-empty wallet burn and prickle with need to vomit it's insides on the desk of some enjoyment-substance-store.

My girlfriend surprised me with a bottle last night. Best surprise I've had in a long time!
Seriously good stuff. Distinctive and complex, and still maintains wonderful balance.

Puff Daddy":tpicsigs said:
Now that's a Christmas present!! :cheers:
Indeed! :cheers:
At first I didn't recognize the box, but as I pulled it out from the bag,
I was like, "Geez! This is the good stuff!"

My son gifted me the Lagavulin 16 two years ago this Christmas. At first, it didn't sit well with me. My favourite single malts are the smokies. Ardbeg presentations are my favourite of the Islays.

As time went on, oxidation did wonders with my bottle of Lagavulun 16, at least for me. Sometimes oxidation works wonders, but at other times, it seems to have the opposite effect.

BTW PD, this is a wonderful review, as have your other reviews on malts.

Thanks Puffs :) . Very happy to see you posting, we miss you good sir! A very happy Christmas holiday to you and yours :santa: . You should put your old Santa avatar back up :twisted:

of all the scotches that I never had, this one is the one I covet the mostest

:)

right now I am stretching my bottle of fiddich hoping I will get something good for Christmas

rev