Laptop screwed up again.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corncobcon

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
Apparently my Norton utilities is not doing its job. Time to take it to our local laptop guru and have it fixed. It seems to me that a laptop only lasts
for a couple of years and then craps out. Just too slow.

My Toshiba Satellite A665 is a decade old and just really now starting to show some slowing when opening some apps. But it's no longer stock. I replaced the hard drive as the original started failing. Maxed out the RAM. I am running Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon. Windows 7 long ago slowed and lost support. I use Firefox and Thunderbird. It does all I need it to do for a traveling machine. It could fulfill all my home desktop office duties. Except gaming.

Yup. Maxing RAM and swapping the ol’ platter drive to a SSD brings new life to an old machine. If swapping RAM isn’t possible, you’ll have greater performance gains with a SSD.

Anyone still using a Commodore Vic-20? or a 64? I had both. Now, for almost everything pertaining to computer use, I use a Lenovo i3 Chromebook. It's as fast as an i7 PC and I never have to worry about malware, worms, viruses, etc. The EOL of this Chromebook, when it will cease getting operating system updates is June, 2023. Usually, Chromebooks have an EOL of 5 years, but I've had this Chromebook since 2016. I have it's replacement, with EOL in 2008, purchased because it was incredibly cheap and touch screen.

Anyone still using a Commodore Vic-20? or a 64? I had both. Now, for almost everything pertaining to computer use, I use a Lenovo i3 Chromebook. It's as fast as an i7 PC and I never have to worry about malware, worms, viruses, etc. The EOL of this Chromebook, when it will cease getting operating system updates is June, 2023. Usually, Chromebooks have an EOL of 5 years, but I've had this Chromebook since 2016. I have it's replacement, with EOL in 2008, purchased because it was incredibly cheap and touch screen.
I named my 2019 MacBook Pro “Commodore 64”. Does that count?

(I had one as a kid/teen.)

About a year ago I bought a Lenovo T420 from a guy on ebay. He had wiped the hard drive (No, not wiped it with a cloth. :) ) and legally installed M$ Windoze 10. A couple of months ago the WiFi card went out and I bought a new one through Newegg for about $17 and installed it myself. The thing works great, has an excellent keyboard, and I love it!

The problem with PC's is the garbage that collects on them over time. If you buy from Best Buy the garbage comes pre-installed and you can pay their Geek Squad to remove what they installed and it speeds up your machine. Anyway, wiping the hard drive and reinstalling the OS can really speed up an old PC. It really doesn't take much of a PC to surf the internet, read and write emails, and go to forums. Hard to justify a new gaming level machine for stuff like that. Almost any old laptop with a little TLC is all anyone needs.

The problem with PC's is the garbage that collects on them over time. It really doesn't take much of a PC to surf the internet, read and write emails, and go to forums.
Which is why for most people a $99.00 Chrome Tablet-link and a salvaged USB keyboard with a USB-C adapter is more than adequate for most purposes.

When I bought that Chrome tablet there was a 20% military/veterans/students discount. I paid $79.00, shipped. Regular price was allegedly $334.00.

Last edited:
I built and operated a fully automated 100-thousand watt FM radio station run via an early pre-consumer Commodore 64, also cassette, pre-floppy. The format was like listening to Spotify or Pandora, with commercials, but no announcers, except for a recorded Station I.D. It was a bust. Same music, but with live local announcers, a cash cow. Things change in 40 years.

Which is why for most people a $99.00 Chrome Tablet-link and a salvaged USB keyboard with a USB-C adapter is more than adequate for most purposes.

When I bought that Chrome tablet there was a 20% military/veterans/students discount. I paid $79.00, shipped. Regular price was allegedly $334.00.

Yep, or my used Lenovo T420 running M$ Windoze 10 that I bought on ebay for $150 that works great. Again, I love that keyboard!

Yep, or my used Lenovo T420 running M$ Windoze 10 that I bought on ebay for $150 that works great. Again, I love that keyboard!
I actually have an I5 Lenovo T420, but it's running W7, although I have a W10 key. I ran into a problem with the touchpad and had my daughter disable it, so I use a mouse during the rare time I use it.