Large Bowl Techniques

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nyfarmer

Reaction score
Hi, guys. My name is Dave, and I'm a Pipe-a-holic. (Hi, Dave!) I live in the Finger Lakes region of New York, which is the most beautiful region on earth. Period. That is without discussion - don't even try to argue with me about it. The down side is that if I buy tobacco at the store here, I pay a hefty 75% tax on it. Sigh.

Here's my question. I love big bowl billiards, but can't smoke a whole bowl at a time. I don't like just filling a quarter way or half way, since that doesn't give the even caking we all look for. What do you guys think of the technique of filling the bowl, smoking a bit, letting it go out, dumping the ashes, pipe cleaner the stem, and then let it sit for later. One bowl of a large billiard would last me all day - sometimes two days. Any down sides to this?

Hi, Dave!

Some folks will do that very thing on purpose, regardless of bowl size. It's known as the 'DGT': Delayed Gratification Technique. I haven't tried it deliberately, but Virginia-heavy blends are supposed to do quite well with this.

The downside is losing some of the tasty volatile stuff in the bowl between smokes, and the heel of the pipe is sitting with some residual moisture. (I'd remove that pipe cleaner after the bowl cools, to be honesty.) But if it works for your tastes, and you keep your pipes clean otherwise, full speed ahead!

I'm a guy who loves large bowl pipes. I'm a clencher so I put the pipe in my mouth and as they say in Brooklyn NY "forgetaboutit"! No delayed gratification for me. I finish what I start. The larger the bowl the longer the smoke. When it comes to a great pipe, I believe in livi'n large.

Everyone to their own devices, of course, but I DGT most of the time, and rarely have a bad smoke. I think if it's something you want to master, you might just try my way before giving up. First, preload your pipes several hours before you'll need them. Second, don't use a charring/false light, but light the pipe and puff away. Third, when ready to set your pipe aside, put a pipe cleaner into the stem, to just before the bowl, and leave it in place for three minutes. Then using the pick of your pipe tool, remove any loose ash. Then remove the pipe cleaner and set your pipe aside, and forget it for at least several hours, if not overnight. Removing excess moisture and all ash is the key to success, in my experience.

I smoke large pipes too and I like John's advice, above. If I'd had any other tips, I'd try to finish the bowl in a day or so -- while moisture might be a problem, you also want to avoid the tobacco getting too dry while it's in the pipe. Also, try to put the half-smoked pipe somewhere other than your jacket pocket! I've ended up cleaning spilled tobacco out of virtually every one i own, much to my chagrin.

Hi Tim: I've basically solved your spilled tobacco/ash problem by always carrying a wind cap. Just place the capped pipe in your coat pocket to prevent spilled ash. Works like a charm. Power to you brother if you can put down your half smoked large boy. I interrupt my smoke only if entering a store or other non smoking establishment if the pipe is lit prior to entering.

For the most part I finish a pipe that I have started. The exception is that quite often I will start a pipe quite late in the evening and will not be able to finish it. In this case I use the DGT. That pipe becomes the first pipe of the day the following day.

nyfarmer....Try mail-order for your tobacco. You will steer clear of the hefty NYS tax....SmokingPipes.com is a good place to start....