Large old Bertram

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevH

Reaction score
I picked up a very large old Bertram billiard off ebay a couple weeks ago. It cost $15 shipped. It was dirty with a brown stem, but something about the shape and the grain spoke to me.

I'm somewhat new to pipes (a little over a year since my first smoke) and I know I smoke too fast and haven't quite got it down yet. I've spent some money on new pipes, but I've learned that the older the pipe the more appeal it has to me.

So here are the obligatory before pics (from ebay):

So I did two rounds of the cotton balls with Everclear thing in the bowl. I soaked the stem in Oxyclean. I bought some Micromesh strips from a local woodworking store and a cotton polishing bit from Harbor Freight.

I polished the stem up with from 2000 to 12000 Micromesh. Then I put some fine Quick-Glo on it and took to it with the polishing bit and a cordless drill. It isn't perfect, but it is certainly black and certainly nicer than how I received it.

The Everclear seamed to soften all the black crud inside the bowl. I took to it with paper towels. No reaming seamed to be needed. I used the micromesh on the rim of the bowl and it removed all the crud up top. It left rim appearing bare. I used Denicare briar polish on the rim and it brought the color right back. I then polished a slight amount into the rest of the briar and then took it to the drill polisher. Good grief it turned out beautiful!

Here are some after pictures:

So now that it looked good and felt good in the hand the one thing left to do was seen how it smoked. Well, I had a beautiful old American pipe so only an appropriate American blend would do.

I loaded it up with some Prince Albert and sat out in the morning breeze coming off the bay (yes, I know not ideal for smoking). Mind you this is a very large bowl and I finished it in thirty minutes. I'm not sure if it was the breeze or my fast smoking, but even so the pipe smoked cool and dry, no gurgling. If pipes teach me nothing they will teach me to be patient and to slow down and enjoy something for simply what it is. Sitting on the porch, for just a brief moment, between the feel of the briar, the view of the water past an oak tree and the smell of the tobacco, I felt transported in time, just for a moment.

I'm incredibly happy to have this pipe in my collection. I'm going to have to find some more.

Great restoration and a wonderful Billiard. BTW what number is stamped on it. That will tell you their grading and how much the pipe cost.

It has "80" stamped on the bottom as well as "S."

I believe 80 means high grain and S signifies Senator which means 100 to 150 year old Algerian briar.

80 mean it is a mid to lower high grade Bertram and sold for $8.00 back in the day.  I am not sure of the S.

KevH":rkozxdfs said:
So now that it looked good and felt good in the hand the one thing left to do was seen how it smoked. Well, I had a beautiful old American pipe so only an appropriate American blend would do.

I loaded it up with some Prince Albert and sat out in the morning breeze coming off the bay (yes, I know not ideal for smoking). Mind you this is a very large bowl and I finished it in thirty minutes. I'm not sure if it was the breeze or my fast smoking, but even so the pipe smoked cool and dry, no gurgling. If pipes teach me nothing they will teach me to be patient and to slow down and enjoy something for simply what it is. Sitting on the porch, for just a brief moment, between the feel of the briar, the view of the water past an oak tree and the smell of the tobacco, I felt transported in time, just for a moment.

I'm incredibly happy to have this pipe in my collection. I'm going to have to find some more.
Hi KevH!  Thanks for posting!  I was gifted a Bertram billiard almost identical to yours which I enjoy very much.  It's a large pipe and yes, it appears to perform best smoking good ol' American OTCs.  I love that pipe.

Enjoy  :)

Kev, That certainly came out looking practically new sir, well done! :cheers: 

Brewdude":2ein7pb1 said:
Your first restoration and it came out great. Well done!!

8) 

Cheers,

RR
Yessir, I forgot to compliment the restoration! I have a 20 Bertrams, it is full of fills, but smokes like a champ.

I'd say your money was well spent. Fantastic restoration. Congrats!  :) 

AJ

Nice work on the resto job. She looks like she"ll be a fine smoker for years to come.

Well done, young man and congrats on an exceptional find. You've got yourself a champ there.  :cheers: 

I could tell from the "before" pictures that this pipe wasn't smoked a lot and would restore nicely. It looks like new to me after a great restoration job.

herbinedave":01u60jp9 said:
riff raff":01u60jp9 said:
Neat, I think the scale went to 100?  So, that 80 looks pretty good!

This tells you a little about the Senator grade:
http://pipepages.com/bertram10.htm

So is that $5 on top of the $8 for the 80 grade?
A friend has a 150 and I have heard they went over 200.
Wow, I'd love to see what a 150-200 looks like!

KevH":oftp0h6z said:
I picked up a very large old Bertram billiard...

Nice work! Enjoy!

Great looking pipe and it cleaned up just lovely, reckon you've got a long term Buddy right there, enjoy it in rude good health.  :cheers: :sunny: 

Great job brother. She looks nearly new. Of course now you've started down the slippery slope of restoration, good luck!

Jim

Just discovered this thread.  I am curious about why Bertram's brag about the briar on their high-grades coming from the heart of the burl.  I always thought that that was really crap wood, the best wood coming from the outside, so-called plateau briar, with varying grades in-between.

http://pipepages.com/bertram11.htm

Anyone know?--or am I delusional?  Or is Bertram's delusional?  Needless to say, I am not a pipe maker.

That is probably a bit of creative marketing, like Dunills "Dead Root Briar". (isn't it all dead?)

Richard Burley":otzgz6ce said:
Just discovered this thread.  I am curious about why Bertram's brag about the briar on their high-grades coming from the heart of the burl.  I always thought that that was really crap wood, the best wood coming from the outside, so-called plateau briar, with varying grades in-between.

http://pipepages.com/bertram11.htm

Anyone know?--or am I delusional?  Or is Bertram's delusional?  Needless to say, I am not a pipe maker.