Latakia and Arcadia

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If Arcadia has any latakia, I would suggest that it is pretty limited, or possibly Syrian rather than Cyprian.

It smokes a lot like some other Oriental/Virginia blends, sitting right between Rattray's Red Rapparee and Presbyterian Mixture in terms of taste (imho).

It is a nice full smoke, a little tangy, but basically friendly. It is not as aggressively Oriental (turkish?) as say, Campanile.

If you told me that you thought Arcadia or Presbyterian had a bit of some kind of Latakia, I wouldn't fight you. But neither is brimming with it. They would have less latakia than something like Squadron Leader, I would guess.

i'd think it's pretty light too, if at all. to me it's lighter in body than Red Raparee.

Sasquatch":79xhr5r7 said:
If Arcadia has any latakia, I would suggest that it is pretty limited, or possibly Syrian rather than Cyprian.

It smokes a lot like some other Oriental/Virginia blends, sitting right between Rattray's Red Rapparee and Presbyterian Mixture in terms of taste (imho).

It is a nice full smoke, a little tangy, but basically friendly. It is not as aggressively Oriental (turkish?) as say, Campanile.

If you told me that you thought Arcadia or Presbyterian had a bit of some kind of Latakia, I wouldn't fight you. But neither is brimming with it. They would have less latakia than something like Squadron Leader, I would guess.
Latakia is in the description:
"This is the second in the 221B Series and is a reproduction of the Arcadia mixture from original samples. It consists, as one would expect of a classic English, of Latakia, Orientals and Virginia. The cut is a very fine shag, even the Latakia. The blending of components is quite uniform, so this will go well in even a small bowl. I can’t say that all McClelland English blends are home runs to me, but this ran the bases. The tin aroma is delicate and complex. The balance is precision itself. It is cool, rich and thoroughly rewarding. I recommend this. The label mentions Arcadia being recognized by Holmes on Watson’s sleeve by the fluffy white ash. This is a reference to “The Adventure of the Crooked Man” where Holmes visits Watson after he is married and notes that his smoking habits haven’t changed from his bachelor days when he started smoking Arcadia. Prior to that (“A Study in Scarlet”), Watson seemed to prefer Ship’s tobacco, said to be blended in the Netherlands and preferred by sailors."

Presbyterian, on the other hand, is said not to contain any.

Yeah, well, there ya go. :clown:

When I think of Latakia, I think of Commonwealth, so I guess every other blend is gonna come up short except Old Ironsides.

Actually, in some ways, Arcadia tastes closer to Accountant's than Red Raparee (to me) and that would indeed indicate a latakia presence.... the only solution is to immediately retreat to my laboratory and experiment further. :afro:

Love both Arcadia and Presby. Arcadia because it is an Oriental with a bit of latakia and Presby because it is an oriental with no latakia!! :pipe: FTRPLT