Latakia No.1

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMITHENHALS

Reaction score
I managed to find a tin of Butera's Royal Vintage Latakia No.1 last night. Since I have only smoked and smelled aromatics, the tin aroma of this is very strange to me. It smells VERY strongly, I opened it in the car on the drive home, and my wife complained about the stench for 45 minutes! What ever this powerful aroma is....I like it.

I remember my first experience with Latakia. I was in England, and had never seen an "English" blend. I told the tobacconist to just give me something very English, very middle of the road. Opened my tin of Standard Mixture Medium and thought that an animal had died inside it.

Smoking it, on the other hand, was an eye-opener of another kind.

Your wife will get used to it. :D Maybe.

I was once an aromatic smoker, now I am lat head and I am not looking back. Welcome brother, your initiation is almost complete.

Be merciful & don't smoke the stuff near her! Latakia has a pronounced funky kind of woodsy aroma which some have even described as being similar to burning car tires. Some smokers can't stand the stuff. Personally I love it. Welcome to its singular joys. A whole new world of tobaccos will open up to you. Enjoy them.

So now I understand what all the fuss is about, I think I had the ultimate pipe smoking experience last night. The weather had made a surprising change for Texas this time of year, it was slightly chilly, and rainy. I sat for about an hour listening to the rain drops falling a few feet from my chair, while reading stories of Sherlock Holmes to the faint light of a small lamp, and enjoying the thick, rich layers of flavor provided by this wonderful tobacco.

SMITHENHALS":r1gizjqx said:
So now I understand what all the fuss is about, I think I had the ultimate pipe smoking experience last night. The weather had made a surprising change for Texas this time of year, it was slightly chilly, and rainy. I sat for about an hour listening to the rain drops falling a few feet from my chair, while reading stories of Sherlock Holmes to the faint light of a small lamp, and enjoying the thick, rich layers of flavor provided by this wonderful tobacco.
Ain't it Grand!

In a word, "Yes".

Glad you enjoyed that stuff, Smith....

Butera's Pelican is also very very good, so you might want to have a crack at that next time, if you can find it.

Those transcendental smokes are why most of us use a pipe.... it's just such a relaxing, tranquil thing. Imagine yelling at someone with a pipe in your hand. :no:

You might be interested in my recent review of the same here on this very board:

https://www.brothersofbriar.com/reviews-f15/butera-royal-vintage-latakia-no-1-a-review-t3943.htm