Late in life changes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ranger107

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
Wife and I are considering a significant change to our current living situation and I would appreciate input or insight from fellow BoBs who may have done the same. I just turned 75 and the wife is 72. I know a lot of you are around the same age or close. We have a nice house in Prescott and board our horses in Chino Valley about 12 miles away. We are close to town and all amenities, doctors, shopping, etc. We love our house and the location. Had planned to stay here permanently. The folks where we board are trying to sell the ranch. Wife has been looking at a house in Prescott Valley. On 2 acres, nice house, same age as ours, really nice barn and stables. Priced very reasonable, a bit less than what we could sell ours for. We pay $850 a month for board for 2 horses, or 10K a year. If we bought the place we could keep our horses for maybe 3K per year or less. The difference would help pay moving expenses, etc. While we like the idea of having our boys close to us, it would be a significant undertaking with the move, having to feed and water ourselves, and maintaining the property. The place is about 30 minutes from our current location out in the country, which isn't bad but means more driving to get to our current amenities like the Legion, VA, HwH, etc. We are going to check out the place later but just wondered if any of you have made a similar move at our advanced age, lol. Would appreciate any thoughts on the matter. Thanks.

I sometimes think about moving somewhere quieter, like somewhere in Kentucky, when I retire but have pretty much decided to stay put here in Oak Ridge, TN. I'm near hospitals, grocery stores, and everything I need. We have a great police department and fire department and I feel safe here. Have a big fenced yard for my two dogs and have friends here. So I don't see myself moving until I can no longer take care of business by myself. But I don't have horses, so I can't help you on that topic. I understand most horse owners see them as family, like I do my dogs. Is there somewhere you can ride them at the new place you are considering moving to? Can you build a barn and board the horses at the place where you are now?

My gut reaction was "that's a lot more driving", but I then remembered how I grew up in a small town, where we had to drive 30 miles to get to most things we didn't have. You get used to it, but errands that normally take people 15 minutes take 75-90 minutes. It can be frustrating for obvious reasons. Sometimes, you just don't feel like everything having to become an event. And if you're the type person who feeds on the success of a day being contingent on productivity, it can be a real hurdle to change that mindset. If not, then I'm blowing hot air. As we've talked on here, I know nothing about horses, so I can't comment on that additional work. Do you think you'd have to hire a helping hand in a few years?

Is your shoulder going to allow you to move bales of hay and bags of grain? Will your wife be able to handle them if your shoulder needs down time? Will any unforeseen medical issue force the burden onto one of you for an extended period of time? When I had my heart attack and bypass surgery my wife was beat taking care of me, our pets, birds and rabbits. I'd enjoy the horses as a hobby rather than a chore.

I sometimes think about moving somewhere quieter, like somewhere in Kentucky, when I retire but have pretty much decided to stay put here in Oak Ridge, TN. I'm near hospitals, grocery stores, and everything I need. We have a great police department and fire department and I feel safe here. Have a big fenced yard for my two dogs and have friends here. So I don't see myself moving until I can no longer take care of business by myself. But I don't have horses, so I can't help you on that topic. I understand most horse owners see them as family, like I do my dogs. Is there somewhere you can ride them at the new place you are considering moving to? Can you build a barn and board the horses at the place where you are now?
Last question is a no. Not enough property and not zoned for horses. Went out to see the place today and we decided it wouldn't work. House and barn are nice, all fenced. But too remote and the road to get there sucks. Gravel part way then turns to dirt with a big wash out about 100 yards before you get to the house. Like you we have access to hospitals, doctors, grocery stores, and fire department. And like you, all our friends are here. There are great places in Williamson Valley on the other side of town but they all run a million plus for acreage.

My gut reaction was "that's a lot more driving", but I then remembered how I grew up in a small town, where we had to drive 30 miles to get to most things we didn't have. You get used to it, but errands that normally take people 15 minutes take 75-90 minutes. It can be frustrating for obvious reasons. Sometimes, you just don't feel like everything having to become an event. And if you're the type person who feeds on the success of a day being contingent on productivity, it can be a real hurdle to change that mindset. If not, then I'm blowing hot air. As we've talked on here, I know nothing about horses, so I can't comment on that additional work. Do you think you'd have to hire a helping hand in a few years?
Probably not. If we couldn't ride or take care of the horses we would donate them to HwH, a therapy program for kids with disabilities.

Is your shoulder going to allow you to move bales of hay and bags of grain? Will your wife be able to handle them if your shoulder needs down time? Will any unforeseen medical issue force the burden onto one of you for an extended period of time? When I had my heart attack and bypass surgery my wife was beat taking care of me, our pets, birds and rabbits. I'd enjoy the horses as a hobby rather than a chore.
Hopefully the shoulder issue will be moot in a couple of months. I can move hay and bags of grain even now, with one hand. My wife loves taking care of the horses. Thinks mucking stalls is therapy, lol. We do see them as a hobby. We both love riding and hopefully can do so for several more years.

Probably not. If we couldn't ride or take care of the horses we would donate them to HwH, a therapy program for kids with disabilities.
I worked with people with developmental disabilities for years. That's probably the wrong way to term it now. I just watched a news piece on this therapy. It's very interesting and even more cool. Working in that field was very rewarding.

https://www.pbs.org/video/horse-therapy-1682797891/

Ranger,
I've spent time in Prescott (friends, visiting, vacation, working, etc.). For me. the closer to "Whiskey Row" and the Brewery I am , the better!! FTRPLT
Well, there is that, lol. Right now we're less than 10 minutes from Whiskey Row and the Courthouse Square. We used to hang out at Jersey Lillys a lot when Tommy owned it. Now it's the Legion or VFW. Next time you're in town look me up.

Wasn't it the a-hole Edwardians who came up with lawns? Or was it the jerks at Versailles? Man, whoever it was, I hate them. I don't hate many, but that person, or people, I do. If there are levels of hell, I wish them the worst.
Romans.

Well Dad gave us a one month warning on moving to assisted living. He is 96 so last month was nothing but chaos. Sold the house in 10 days by owner. Brother took most of the furniture as he was having a life change. Had an antique buddy pick up everything else. Moved Dad in mid-month. It was nuts. I asked dad this weekend if he missed the house and all the stuff in the last house he had for 40 years. His answer was no, not at all.

I have done 3 moves in my life and we are done. This third house would have been easier to burn down and start over considering all the work I have put in it over the last 17 years. We moved here we were out in the county and it was quiet. Now two towns have annexed right up to our neighborhood and you can hear traffic at night. One town has about 2000 families moving in a year. It's nutz here, but I don't see myself moving again. We have a good chunk of land, master is on the first floor which is great as you get older. My experience is 3 good moves equals one big house fire.

You gotta do you but keep in mind that first floor bedroom is nice to have when issues arise. Wife already had hip replacement and I don't see how she could have made it upstairs during that recovery. Keep in mind the end game when things slow down.

My wife and I are 60 and 53 this year, and we've already figured we don't want to go through moving again, unless a money truck dumps its load in our yard one day. I'd go with donate, but I figure that would be emotionally hard. At least you could visit the horses, though, right?

My wife and I are 60 and 53 this year, and we've already figured we don't want to go through moving again, unless a money truck dumps its load in our yard one day. I'd go with donate, but I figure that would be emotionally hard. At least you could visit the horses, though, right?
Yes. If we loaned them to HwH to use for therapy sessions we could go see them any rime we wanted and would still maintain ownership. They would feed and take care of them but we would be responsible for any vet bills which is pretty minimal. Just shots twice a year.

I've got about five more years to work. It's just my wife and I now in a huge house that once held the extended family. It's really too much and is definitely more than we need. Heck there are rooms that are never used or entered into now that our daughters are grown and gone. And all the yard work and periodic maintenance is becoming less and less of a thrill for us. My wife has escalating health issues and me, well, I'm just ready to be done with it all. We have talked about downsizing and retiring to a warmer climate. Being close to our girls and the new grandkids has kept us rooted where we are but I sense a foreseeable change is coming. And the thought of uprooting and starting anew at our age is concerning, so I get your wonderings. Best of luck my friend.

I can't even begin to think about moving or getting rid of all the crap we have after 40 years in this house :eek: even though at 76 I should. I think my dad had the right idea: he told the five of us kids, "if there's anything you want. come and get it, because I'm selling the house with everything in it. And he did. Good luck with whatever you decide.