Late Nite Ramblings

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puffy

Reaction score
About thirty years ago it was found that my Thyroid wasn't acting as it as it should.I was told that for the rest of my life I would have to take pills to corect the situation.A side effect of these pills is to give one a dry throat.Because of this I always have something around to drink when I smoke my pipes.I figure that over the years i've spent about three thousand dollars on those pills.I guess you can think of yourself as a true pipe smoker when you equate the cost of other things to that of pipe tobacco..Just think of how much tobacco I could have bought with that money..Just curious do you usually drink something while you smoke?

I always have a drink on the side when when I smoke. This time of the year it's usually a cooldrink - Sprite Zero, dash of bitters & soda water. We call it a Rock Shandy.

I usually think about it as soon as I've gotten comfortable :lol:

I have to wonder what Bob's Chocolate Flake would taste like while drinking chocolate milk lol. I'm guessing either really good or really bad :suspect:

Coffee, tea, soda, etc. I don't knowif I need the drink or it's just habit but I normally have a drink close by.

Being in GB, Tea is the thing I have many times a day, though not necessarily with my pipe.
BTW, avoid artificial sweeteners and diet products, they contain Aspartame which does your head in.

If during the day I normally don't drink anything while smoking my pipe. If at night, I may have a nice single malt or blended whiskey to sip on.

Coffee in the AM...Dr. Pepper in the afternoon...Ale or Cabernet in the PM. All suit me well for pipe smoking.

Coffee in the am, at night its usually mineral water...and some nights scotch

Tea most of the day. Usually with lemon so the acidity neutralizes the alkalinity (at least that's my theory, lol). Of course, since I'm changing my smoking style slowly, I don't get bit much anymore so it's less of a concern.

I'm not much of a drinker, at least not since college, but the occasional rum/tonic or vodka/tonic is quite nice. Some of the more... I guess cask aged or 'oaky' rums go very well with my palette and english tastes.

Aside from this, my evening tea is usually lotus, which goes extremely well with the Frog line; similar taste profiles (in a good ethereal way).

Ice Tea w/ Stevia sweetener in it, unless I'm smoking Penzance, which I like with red wine.

My mouth is constantly dry as a side effect of medication as well, coffee in the morning, Earl Grey tea with lemon in the afternoon, and water throughout the day.

I also keep a bottle or Thayers Natural Menthol Dry Mouth Spray at hand, works better than any drink.

Tea, just lipton.
BUT...Ginger Tea...I take raw ginger, peel it, put it through the wife's Cuisinart, chopped up quite finely.
2 teaspoons of Green Tea (they look like little peas but they bloom into tea leaves)
2 TABLESPOONS of Ginger.
Water heated in my Russell Tea Pot to just under boiling.
Steep for 10 mins. With Green Tea it will not hurt it to steep longer and the Ginger gets stronger. (With black tea, like lipton 5 mins is max or you get tanic acid overload.)
2 Teaspoons of sugar or 1 teas of lemon.

This is my preferred drink when smoking my pipes.

HOWEVER...I found a tobacco that does NOT require sipping a beverage...McClelland 5100. For some odd reason I can smoke this pipe tobacco and not constantly sip tea. cool

Always strong coffee with my morning pipe. On weekends when I can occasionally have an afternoon bowl, what ever is cool and convenient. or hot tea in winter. Evening bowl almost always has some drink with a "kick", beer, bourbon, Manhattan, or the like. I need to sip something every few minutes when I'm puffing.

Natch

Coffee with the morning pipe, Earl Grey with the lunch pipe and White Horse Scotch or Beer after work. I have a special treat with the evening pipe. Coffee and Dove dark chocolate. You guy's have gotta try this. Your taste buds will thank you.

Ken