Latest Re-Stock

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewdude":e7w3v693 said:
Savin, my understanding is SG BBF is simply FVF that doesn't get as much time in the press. So no, it wouldn't be the same as GH. BBF is also one of my most favourites from Sammy G's and seems to not be as fussy about prep as FVF, although it still needs drying.

HTH

Cheers,

RR
Thanks for that piece of info RR, I'm going to take the plunge this week and order 250g of BBF and 250g of Golden Glow which is meant to be a bit lighter in strength than FVF?

Is FVF quite strong in Vitamin-N is it?

You're talking to someone who gets N Overload from McClelland 2015 Virginia/Perique if I smoke too much too quickly, I love it but it's not one I could smoke all day

If you used to or still do smoke cigarettes you'll like Golden Glow, very light easy to rub out so just pack and smoke, never tried GH BBF so I can't comment on it.

Savin LE":beu8sh8x said:
Thanks for that piece of info RR, I'm going to take the plunge this week and order 250g of BBF and 250g of Golden Glow which is meant to be a bit lighter in strength than FVF?

Is FVF quite strong in Vitamin-N is it?

You're talking to someone who gets N Overload from McClelland 2015 Virginia/Perique if I smoke too much too quickly, I love it but it's not one I could smoke all day
FVF is not a nic bomb in any way, shape, or form to me anyways. And I'm one of those to whom moderate to high amounts of lady-nic ruins their whole day and experience!

I should think you'll be safe in this regard, and as always this needs to be sipped rather slowly to get the best results. I have one pipe dedicated to it, a '13 Boswell estate 'doggy and it seems to perform admirably in this.

My understanding is that Golden Glow is the same as Medium VA flake. Sort of what BBF becomes before it's BBF. So even less time in the press. Pretty mild to my tastes. In fact almost forgettable.

And as always, JMHO. YMMV.

Cheers,

RR

allyby":hx4nu4fe said:
If you used to or still do smoke cigarettes you'll like Golden Glow, very light easy to rub out so just pack and smoke, never tried GH BBF so I can't comment on it.
Not sure if I'd like it or not Ally?, when you say that do you mean it's got that filter-tip cigarette taste going on?
I used to smoke roll ups mainly although I wasn't averse to filter tips now & again.

Brewdude":hx4nu4fe said:
FVF is not a nic bomb in any way, shape, or form to me anyways. And I'm one of those to whom moderate to high amounts of lady-nic ruins their whole day and experience!

I should think you'll be safe in this regard, and as always this needs to be sipped rather slowly to get the best results. I have one pipe dedicated to it, a '13 Boswell estate 'doggy and it seems to perform admirably in this.

My understanding is that Golden Glow is the same as Medium VA flake. Sort of what BBF becomes before it's BBF. So even less time in the press. Pretty mild to my tastes. In fact almost forgettable.

And as always, JMHO. YMMV.

Cheers,

RR
Think I should probably try a sample of FVF/FVP first before getting it in bulk. It does sound like it'd go down well though from the information you lads have given me about it & what is written online about it etc :study:
I'll put a couple of oz on my next order from GQ or SP.com & let you guys know how I get on with it ;)

You mentioned Medium Virginia Flake there Brewdude, can anyone tell me where I can pick some up please?, so far I haven't been able to locate it.....knowing my luck I will find it but from somewhere that doesn't ship to the UK :no:

Savin LE":7supaol3 said:
You mentioned Medium Virginia Flake there Brewdude, can anyone tell me where I can pick some up please?, so far I haven't been able to locate it.....knowing my luck I will find it but from somewhere that doesn't ship to the UK :no:
MVF should be the same as Golden Glow. MVF appears sporadically in bulk form on some of the US stocklists where GG is the tinned version. Right now I don't find MVF on any of the usual sites here in the states.

HTH

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":3ovhkoag said:
Savin LE":3ovhkoag said:
MVF should be the same as Golden Glow. MVF appears sporadically in bulk form on some of the US stocklists where GG is the tinned version. Right now I don't find MVF on any of the usual sites here in the states.

HTH

Cheers,

RR
Ah right got you, thanks for that....I can't recall seeing it at all any time recently but having said that, I haven't really been looking till now.
90% of my online tobacco purchases are from GQ or SP with the other 10% from mysmokingshop.co.uk. I think I'm correct in saying 4N ship to the UK though so maybe give them a look next time to broaden my sources

This is typical to see this after you telling me GG & MVF are one and the same, but I've just noticed 4Noggins list it as "Samuel Gawith: GOLDEN GLOW (MEDIUM VIRGINIA FLAKE)"  ;)

allyby":ieusu432 said:
BTW for those wondering about Demerara Flake, It's the exact same as they sell in tins in the US but it's called SG Brown Sugar Flake.
I keep looking for more info on this as well, because GQ's description indicates they are indeed one in the same. However, comparing components, Brown Sugar Flake lists orientals and burley with reviews making note of them. Demerara Flake reads as only Virginias and cavendish, no mention of burley or orientals in the description or reviews. :scratch: