Latest Restoration - a Brigham 526 with a Headache

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ontariopiper

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've just finished up my latest estate pipe restoration. This was easily one of the most challenging and time-consuming jobs I've undertaken in quite some time, so I thought I'd share the results.

The pipe, a bent bulldog shape, had been smacked down on something, which cracked the bowl right across the keel and sent spider cracks racing across the briar in all directions. For some unknown reason, I was the only bidder on the auction.....

And here's a shot of the bowl after restoration.

There was a ton of other work done on the pipe - the crack repair, obviously, rim work, stem work and repairs to the tobacco chamber - oh, and a complete refinishing. It was exhausting but worth it!

You can follow the complete restoration step by step HERE.

Thanks for looking.

Awesome. Really. I have concluded after viewing your link that there is no pipe, regardless of how damaged, that can escape being restored once it falls into your hands, whether it wants to be or not.  ;)

MisterE":va4ewncx said:
Bravo! :cheers:

Just curious, will the glue used on fixing the fissures hold up to heat while smoking?
I've used JB to repair several pipes, including one in which the draft hole had completely burned through to the shank, and all have held up admirably so far. I am confident that they will continue to do so with reasonable use and care. Those who puff their pipes like steam trains are asking for burnouts anyway ;)

The fissures in this case likely could have been repaired with traditional pipe mud, but I've kind of taken to the JB.

Richard Burley":8beznm1u said:
Awesome. Really. I have concluded after viewing your link that there is no pipe, regardless of how damaged, that can escape being restored once it falls into your hands, whether it wants to be or not.  ;)
Jeepers! Can I quote you on that, Mr Burley?!?

They don't all come out looking this good, but the Pipe Gods smiled on this one for sure. It took 60 or so other restorations to pummel the basics of glue, sandpaper and stain into my thick head, but they sure were a lot of fun. Those hard lessons on no-name basket pipes (and a few not-so-nameless ones) all came together to get this old 5-Dot Doggy back in action.

ontariopiper":u8mzm08s said:
Richard Burley":u8mzm08s said:
Jeepers! Can I quote you on that, Mr Burley?!?
The quote is now yours, mon ami. I would suggest a modest engraved plaque with the quote hung over the entrance to your workshop.

Richard Burley said:
ontariopiper":i1pv2im5 said:
The quote is now yours, mon ami. I would suggest a modest engraved plaque with the quote hung over the entrance to your workshop.
D'you think foot-high neon lettering is too much? :lol:

ontariopiper":l8w1b2v6 said:
Richard Burley":l8w1b2v6 said:
ontariopiper":l8w1b2v6 said:
D'you think foot-high neon lettering is too much? :lol:
...if you've got it, flaunt it! And you Sir clearly have! Nicely done.