Lathe Buffing Extensions

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Milan

Reaction score
I've been looking at lathes and have noticed that you can attach a buffing wheel. Is this a good option to purchasing a motor?
Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Milan

If you already own a lathe or are purchasing one for other reasons, then I don't see why not. You should be able to add the same wheels (backed or un-backed) that will attach to a normal buffer/grinder-style setup. May take a little jury-rigging depending on the type of collet or chuck you are working with.

Thanks for the quick feedback. I prefer to kill two birds with one stone if I can. Seems like the way to go if one is interested in acquiring both, but has neither?

Im a machinist by trade, don't really see a problem with it. The only thing i could think of is try to cover up the lathe "bedways" with some wood or something to protect against damage if your pipe or stem get ripped of of your hand while buffing...and trust me it will happen. if that happens and your pipe slams up against the lathe bedways it will severely damage your pipe.

There is a Youtube vid of a fellow polishing a stem with a regular buffer and the stem was pulled out of his hand and slammed against a concrete floor, so his advice was to add a piece of carpet to the floor to protect the stem when it happens the next time. Don't know if this would apply to a lathe setup.

I do this a lot. It makes a handy speed-controlled buffer, especially using small wheels for detailed work that would be awkward on the bigger wheels. The chief objection is that you'll get your lathe bed covered in compound crap, and need to clean it off regularly because spattered brown compound dust will get into the gears of your tool post (assuming a metal lathe).

Don't know it they still do but Pipe Makers Emporium use to sell a Bealle (spelling might be wrong) set up that included the shaft, buffing wheels and carnuba especially for setting up your lathe for a pretty decent price.

loneredtree":we21a33v said:
Close Mikem, Its Beall tool company/ http://www.bealltool.com/ Others have highly recommended them for buffing supplies.
That is interesting:
threeon.jpg

Jantz Supply and Grizzly can fix you up with attachments. Comment was made of using carpet to catch errant stummels. I have lined the wall and floor behind lathe, buffers, and belt sander (when grinding wood not metal) with multiple layers of cardboard. It can absorb the impact and prevent a flyaway without overt damage to the stock.