Laurel Green Platinum 3776

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
Be still my quaking heart. Century has released their 3776 Century in what they’re calling “Laurel Green”.  This is arguably my favorite pen. You can literally let most inks sitting in it for a year without it drying out. And you can get a soft fine or a soft medium nib, among many others. Extra cool.  I have the Burgoyne (Burgundy) and the Chartres (Deep Blue) editions. The resin used is transparent and these pens are very jewel-like in appearance...gorgeous! But green being my favorite color I’m lusting mightily after the Laurel color.

These three, being so jewel-like in their colors...I think of them as Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald.  Photos don’t show them anywhere near what their ‘in person’ impact is.

Nice looking pens. The last pic of the blue on isn’t that a music nib on it? I’ll have to check them out.

Very nice pens. I just looked at them and are awesome looking. That music nib adds about $65 to the price. I definitely going to keep these on my watch list. But I need to get better at my writing before I can justify one. I haven’t written anything other than a grocery list or quick notes in years. Why write when you can email? I’ve been practicing my cursive letters and can’t even remember how to write some of them.

If you’ve ever seen one of the colors in person...they are absolutely gorgeous. I’ve got lots of excellent cheap pens and many very nice mid range pens (to me $150 is mid range) and each one has its list of assets. The Platinum Century 3776 has a long list. Among its assets on MY list is that it’s THE most visually beautiful pen in the world.

I’m not much into music nibs, except the Sailor version, which is more of a single slit stub design. All things considered I like a nice stub. Great line variation and they write quickly (typical writing speed) really well.

Well, enough of that. Carry on.

Can I ask which site you are looking at from japan? I looked at jetpens and they are the same price there as Goulet pens.

JetbPens is not a Japan based vendor.  Check eBay. Best price I found there a few minutes ago was about $75 for the blue or burgundy. If you plan on buying from a vendor there I could look up some history to find the vendors I used. Some are good, some are so-so.

Thanks blackhorse. I looked at them there and are watching a couple of auctions.

I guess I need to start selling some of my wife’s cookie jars, old fiesta dishes and very old dolls to feed my new addiction.

Going nuts for a green pen now.  The 3776 is still too new to be less than $120 even via Japanese online vendors. I went ahead and took advantage of the Goulet December Deal wherein you buy a Conklin pen and get a 90 fl Oz bottle of Monteverde ink ($15 value) for free.  That’s pretty much ANY Conklin or Monteverde pen...even the cheap ones.  

So I used my Christmas money and ordered the following set...a Conklin Durograph with a medium nib (currently with a Bock German nib or the Duraflex). I got the Bock medium cause the Omniflex is running about 50-50 as having problems with flow.  I picked the Forest Green pen and selected California Teal for the free ink.  It’s reported to have a great deal of sheen and be pretty much trouble free. Total for pen and ink was just over $50.

Blackhorse, I ordered the same pen from Goulet for my wife to get me for Christmas. I ordered it with a med nib as well.

Wow eggy - great minds think alike, obviously.  Did yours come with the Bock nib?  How is that for you?

Did they have the free ink thing going then?  You can also get the California Teal in cartridge form at Anderson Pens ( only place I’ve found ‘em). $6 for 12 international shorts...plus $3 shipping.  I just ordered a 12 pack.  I rarely actually use cartridges but insist on having them for travel, backup, etc.

I was looking for a forest green notebook to complete the set...didn’t find the right thing...then had a “DUH” moment when I remembered I had a Hippo Noto leather bound notebook that I had bought during their kickstart.  It’s a beast at 500 pages (250 sheets) of the 68GSM Tomoe River lined paper.  Beautifully made.

Only issue with these is that they take FOREVER for delivery. Mine took about 6 months.  It’s because of the Kickstarter thing.

https://hipponoto.com/collections/frontpage/products/hippo-noto-ivory?variant=46826667976

I guess great minds do think alike. Mine did come with the bock medium nib. Although I haven’t tried it yet. I am planning on it very soon. I have several inked up and trying to use them up before I fill anymore.

I like the California teal. I’ll have to put it on my list for future orders. I got the Monteverdi midnight black with my pen. I always liked black in my roller balls and ballpoints. Never really cared for other colors unless forced to use at work for various reasons. But since I started this journey into fountains I’ve found I really like the blues, greens and others too.

That hippo cover looks great. I’ve been looking at planners and notebooks but only purchased sketch books so far. They’re available locally and I’m using them to relearn my cursive letters and practice my writing. Honestly it sucks and being left handed doesn’t help. I haven’t hand written anything except a check since 1997 when I bought my first gateway computer.

I’ve been looking at some nice clairfontane and Rhodia stuff but haven’t pulled the trigger on that yet.

Got the Conklin Duragraph Forest Green Pen and Monteverde ink in this evening. Almost immediately inked it up after a good flushing to get rid of the machine oils, etc. it writes like a champ out of the box. The medium Bock nib is smooth and moderately wet. The green ink is a totally perfect match for the green pen. It’s nice and dark...but foresty green. I like everything about this one...easily on a par with pens that go for 2 - 3 times the price. I really, really like this one.

Wooo! Got a big storm blowing through here right now so I better run. Talk at you boys later.