Lawsuit vs. FDA (mis-)Deemers

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lestrout

Reaction score
The great RussO posted:

"I just received an email that states that the IPCPR, CAA and CRA have filed a joint lawsuit against the FDA and are asking for an injunction to stop the implementation of the deeming regulations due to unfair or illegal elements of the regulations. Here are some notes...

The complaint challenges:

• FDA’s improper application of the February 15, 2007 grandfather date to cigars and pipe tobacco, which subjects those products to more intrusive regulations than cigarettes and smokeless tobacco
• FDA's impermissible assessment of a tax in the form of user fees, and its allocation of these user fees only to cigars and pipe tobacco and not to other newly deemed products
• FDA’s failure to perform an adequate cost-benefit analysis to take into account the effects of the Final Rule on small businesses as is required by the Regulatory Flexibility Act
• FDA's unjustified decision to require cigar health warning labels to be 30% of the two principal display panels of packages
• FDA’s unlawful designation of tobacconists who blend finished pipe tobacco or create cigar samplers of finished cigars as “manufacturers," which subjects those businesses to greater regulation than if they were “retailers”
• FDA’s incorrect decision to regulate pipes as “components” or “parts” rather than as “accessories”
"The FDA ignored the law to craft these expansive and sweeping regulations and cannot justify many of the arbitrary and capricious regulations it purports to enact," said Glynn Loope, Executive Director of Cigar Rights of America. "This lawsuit is a specific and detailed challenge to the FDA's unprecedented assertion of rulemaking authority. "We are acting in one voice to protect the legal rights of our industry at all levels, from the manufacturer, the community retail tobacconist, to the adult patrons of cigars."

Hopefully not too late.

hp
les

Thanks, lestrout! I'm glad to hear some of the manufacturers are taking action. At the very least it will postpone the inevitable.

MisterE":tujc4j5t said:
Thanks, lestrout!  I'm glad to hear some of the manufacturers are taking action. At the very least it will postpone the inevitable.
Ye of little Faith

Looks like a well thought out challenge based on reality, which the deeming regs lack. I wish them all due consideration by the governing bodies.

Thanks for posting les.

Cheers,

RR