Leap Day was good to me

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jefe1037

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
I just wanted to share with the Brothers about my good "pipe day" yesterday. It started off pretty crappy, because I watched my bus take off without me. This normally would start a chain reaction that involves missing the train, waiting for the next which isn't an express that would either make me an hour late for work, or slapped with parking tickets/ towed or both. Fortunately, wifey suggested that I just drive into work (duh! I have been taking the train so regularly that I forgot this was an option!)

Now, the drive from my house into Chicago is somewhere in the neighborhood of 28 miles. During rush hour, this is a two hour drive, but since I was leaving the house at 8:30 at this point, the traffic was dying down. I had my Ben Wade loaded with some IRC Va Flake, and I lit up as I left my place. Everything was golden. I sipped away as I got on the expressway. I needed a couple of relights that were easily managed when traffic slowed to a crawl at the normal bottlenecks. The flavors were flowing. I had the windows down and the weather was agreeing with me... Nearly 60 degrees in February in Chicago? A 90 Minute smoke (my longest ever... I am normally hustling to or from the train) later, and I was at work on time feeling the most relaxed I could have been.

I work in private dining room of a restaurant in the city, and was working a luncheon party (it ended up being the WGN News team... anyone who wants to know, it is silly how attractive Erin McElroy is. RIDICULOUS. Don't tell my wife.) and a dinner party for a pharmaceutical company: doctors who are there for a free meal but have to listen to a sales pitch in exchange... pharma companies have limits on how much they can spend, so we have rules, which the doctors feel that they are entitled to break. This is a worst case scenario party, because it is a LOT of work for very little return. Fortunately no one REALLY wants to be there, so everyone takes off quickly rather than lingering because there is no more free booze.

On the way home from work, I had repacked about half a flake and had another relaxing smoke on my walk to the train Wifey took the car home at 6 when she got off, I didn't get out until late, with an hour to catch my train -- a walk that normally takes 30 mins. The wind had picked up, so I had to hold my hand over the bowl to keep the airflow down into the flake, but the Tobacco Gods were on my side again.... a nice long relaxing smoke, twice in one day!

Just to add a bow on top of this gift of an extra day we had this year, I got home to a hot meal (my wife NEVER cooks, so this was a treat) and a package on the table. A giant manila envelope with a return address from somewhere in the Ozarks. I opened this to find literally dozens of samples that Natch bagged up and labeled for me. I got bombed. All things considered, it was a fairly uneventful day from the outside, but days this good are few and far between in my life, and I just needed to share my gratitude and appreciation for this one.

Sounds like one heckuva day, brother. Just wanted to mention that here, not far from you at all, we have this stuff we call "traffic". Any of us who's ever been within 30 miles of Chicago says that with slight smirk. YOU guys have the real thing! My preferred way to visit Chicago by car is to drive to the poorly named Michigan City, Indiana and take the commuter train in from there. Of course, living within walking distance of Kalamazoo's Amtrak station means I can skip the car altogether.

tack on parking costs to traffic delays, and the metra system is a GREAT way to get to the city and back on the daily. the only bad day is sunday, where i can only catch a train every two hours.... if I miss the train when I am getting off work, this can be disheartening

Your'e VERY FORTUNATE to have a public transit system!! Try living in a metropolitan area with OVER 1 million folks with a hodgepodge of transit systems in which maybe 1/4 of the residents have access to ANY sort of system! I live in one of the cities here in the DFW area of N.Texas of OVER 300,000 residents that DOES NOT have a public transit system at all! If you don't have a functioning automobile you are stuck trying to get anywhere around this city. There is a "one horse, one man" bubba mentality towards public transit up here and I don't feel it's gonna change anytime soon! Count your blessings :p

monbla256":uz76o1yd said:
Your'e VERY FORTUNATE to have a public transit system!! Try living in a metropolitan area with OVER 1 million folks with a hodgepodge of transit systems in which maybe 1/4 of the residents have access to ANY sort of system!
I lived in Arlington for a bit back in '84/'85. That wast just before I was old enough to drive, but I remember all that gridlock traffic on the way into Dallas, baking in the Texas sun. If I remember correctly, that's when it was still legal to drink beer in your car. I don't know if that made it better or worse!