Leg of Lamb?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BH, I'm with you on the Spam. My Dad used to slice it, fry it, and put it on sandwiches. Good stuff.
When I was in the Marshall Islands in the late seventies the local pub (the Snake Pit) had a small kitchen that a Marshallese guy would cook for us. One of the favorites was Spam, cabbage, carrots, onions over rice. Stir fried with soy sauce.

When I was in the Marshall Islands in the late seventies the local pub (the Snake Pit) had a small kitchen that a Marshallese guy would cook for us. One of the favorites was Spam, cabbage, carrots, onions over rice. Stir fried with soy sauce.
Sounds good except for the cabbage, lol.

Also, there was mention of not liking the taste of lamb/mutton. It's an acquired taste just like eating beef, pork, chicken, etc. is an acquired taste. If you've been eating it for a while (since you were a toddler) you grow to like it.

And then there are the guys (like me) that loved it at first bite. And how are beef, pork & chicken acquired tastes? Just curious.

And then there are the guys (like me) that loved it at first bite. And how are beef, pork & chicken acquired tastes? Just curious.
If you've never eaten them before they don't taste that great the first time you eat them.

For a few years I didn't eat pork and when I ate it again I didn't like it for a while. It took a couple of years before I liked it.

I still don't care much for beef unless it's a hamburger with the beef taste hidden with onions, tomato, and condiments.

Fine DW. I understand the concept. But that’s YOUR experience…not everyone’s. Case in point: I remember as a kid of maybe 10 years old some neighbors, two houses down, were having a big family picnic. I wandered over and was drooling over the tables of food they had laid out. One of the relatives asked me if I was hungry and if so to take whatever I wanted. Or something like that. It’s been a few years and it’s not still there word for word. Anyway, I picked up a half sandwich and the woman got this big smirk on her face. She said that the sandwich was liverwurst and I most likely wouldn’t like it. Well, I polished that one off and they were so surprised they gave me another. It was literally one of the best things I’d ever tasted. And I doubt very much that I’s ever even tasted liver before. It’s one if the rare food memories that sticks clearly.

Let’s see…there was the time when I was probably 12 or 13 and Phil, a neighbor kid a year younger, was over to lunch. We could always make him laugh so we did..right when he was drinking his milk. He sprayed my mom pretty good. Now THAT was funny. Another one was going to a family friends place and having fondue…the hot oil to cook prawns in kind of fondue. I’d never had prawns before but it was FANTASTIC! I ate so much I must have looked pregnant. Later that night I had horrible indigestion and threw up for what seemed like hours. Now THAT one was NOT funny. I remember my mother (an RN nurse) giving me milk toast after being NPO for several days with the flu. Lord, that tasted so good. I remember the Shortbread a Scottish neighbor used to give us at Christmas…and my mother’s Norwegian Christmas cookies. I remember the creme de menthe brownies Phil’s mom (remember him from above) used to make. A very dense chocolate cake style brownie…covered with a layer of marshmallow cream infused with genuine Creme de Menthe…in turn coved with a layer of hard (like a Hershey Bar) dark chocolate. Sigh…

Huh! Where am I? Oops, got carried away there. Just a little nostalgia. Sorry for the highjack.

It's pretty common for people who have been raised on mutton and/or goat to find beef and pork repulsive at first and for those who have been raised on beef and/or pork to be repulsed by mutton and goat.

Most of the sausages are made not to taste a lot like the meat from which they are made. I loved liverwurst the first time I had it. I also loved braunschweiger. The seasonings made them taste so good, IMHO.

Of course take what I'm saying with a grain of salt. I grew up on quite a bit of wild game/fish and enjoyed them all. That's probably why I prefer fish and poultry over any other flesh. Not many heads of wild cattle out in the woods but there are more wild pigs now than when I was a kid. :)

That would be a good thread: foods other people than your family introduced to your life as a child. I can remember a couple instances. 1) about 15 miles from my small town, there was an Army ammunitions depot, and they had a constant rotation of independent contractors and ammunition inspectors. Some of them would move into our town. A Japanese family moved across the street, and the boy was my same age. Became best friends, and though I never ate at his house, I did eat lunch at school with him. Never had seaweed, and I loved it. 2) a new girl in town was in my grade, and her family had a birthday party to help introduce her to the classmates. They had plain yellow mustard in a dip bowl surrounded by plain potato chips. Huh? That, to this day, is my preferred way to eat plain potato chips. I can't remember the last time I had potato chips, but if I did, I'd eat them with yellow mustard.

I had a friend in school that ALWAYS dipped his Fritos in mustard. Back then I didn't care for it but now I can see why someone would like it.

Hmmm, not crisps but fried chips dipped in mustard or mayo or even better aoli are amazing. A mix of the two is nice. I like hot English mustard for dipping though French works as well.

Just had some homemade jalapeno strawberry jelly on a cheeseburger. It was great and had that green pepper bite to it. The sweetness of the jelly also added another dimension to the dill pickle. Thanks for turning me on to something new!