Leg of Lamb?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
Anybody doing a Leg of Lamb for Easter dinner? With mint jelly? And whole garlic cloves stuck into it before roasting? And scalloped Russet potatoes? And creamed asparagus? Sigh.

My wife used to raise baby lambs and won’t allow one to be eaten here. 🙄.

But I can dream!

And…What wine would be best with lamb? A solid Sauvignon Blanc? A crisp Gawurtztraminer? Chenin Blanc? Pinot Noir? Syrah?

Last…what dessert? A traditional baclava? Lemon Chiffon pie? Cheesecake! Hmmm. Can’t go wrong with Marionberry pie! Or a Pecan pie from COSTCO!

Growing up, Mom would have made the leg of lamb with scalloped potatoes, green beans…the lemon chiffon pie…but no wine.

I have had lamb chops and rack of lamb both pretty good. I’ve also had lamb dishes from Indian and Greecan restaurants and I like it.

When I was in Australia, for breakfast at the hotel where I stayed you got to choose between bacon or lamb chops with breakfast. THAT was easy! Broiled lamb chops are one of my very favorite meat things. But at least locally lamb is REALLY expensive! A butcher once told me it was due to low demand.

Had a leg of lamb here for Easter Saturday dinner, I stabbed it multiple times and filled those wounds up with garlic and rosemary. Rubbed it down with sesame oil and slathered it with salt and black pepper then added about 2 thirds of a bottle of dry white wine to the pan. Baked it on 160 C for four hours and added some mixed root vegetables with lard in another pan to the oven for the last hour and a half to bake. Made gravy with the pan juices.

Had it with a nice bottle of shiraz.

It was good if I do say so myself.

No dessert here as we're doing keto.

And for that breakfast I'd go for both bacon and lamb chops. Hope they gave you eggs and fried tomatoes too.

Dunno why you guys have low demand for lamb, it is easily my favourite red meat, I find beef too boring most of the time unless it has been marinated. Though I do love a steak with garlic/herb butter on top.

Mmm lamb cutlets done on a webber BBQ, delish.

Timbo…bless you my son. You have been found to be worthy.

PS: for Easter breakfast I’m choosing between some nice thick sliced bacon and…wait for it…SPAM! Big SPAM fan here. It’s like having bacon and ham all in one piece. Love it fried, on toast, buried under chili con carne. Love it fried open faced on Ciabatta toast…or cubed in scrambled eggs…or on pizza…or in stir fry with onions & peppers. Well I’ll likely end up doing both. And I’ll add fried russet potatoes and yes…fried tomatoes. Thanks for reminding me of that last item.

Have a yummy Easter!

This being cattle country lamb here is rather expensive. You can get it but you pay dearly for it. I do like it but not better than a good filet mignon.

Lamb is weird around here, and I'm assuming in US culture in general. It's either a family staple or satan. People either have eaten it all their lives, just like any other meat, or they never ate it and it might as well be venison or some other game meat to them. "Ew...lamb?!" I've only eaten it a couple times (my family is the latter), but I can say that some of the tastiest smelling meat I've ever caught wind of was lamb. I don't eat it, but I loved smelling lamb headed for gyros in my favorite Middle East joint. I don't know what they do on that spit, but man, it looks GOOD.

I grew up eating lamb chops a few times a month. A friend of mine is a shepherd raising Black Welsh Mountain Sheep. They take longer to grow out as they were originally raised to provide wool for Monks that didn't need to be dyed. That said they also make a delicious meal!

Before I gave up meat, I loved lamb until my doctor informed me that it's cholesterol level is very high. Once I knew it was b-a--a-d for me I quit eating it.

I’ve tried to like leg-o-lamb and even roasted/smoked on the grill I just don’t.

I don't eat it, but I loved smelling lamb headed for gyros in my favorite Middle East joint. I don't know what they do on that spit, but man, it looks GOOD.
Mmm lamb gyros, especially with garlic sauce and chilli sauce and a bunch of tabouli and other salad stuff. I just had dinner but I'm hungry for lamb gyros now. Oddly enough lamb gyros used to be everywhere when I was a kid but most places just do beef and chicken these days here in Aus. You need to go to specific suburbs to get a lamb one.

Also love me some SPAM, reminds me of camping when growing up and not having a fridge to store stuff so everthing was canned pretty much. Sliced and fried is how we do it here too. Tempted to try smoking it too next time I've got the smoker fired up.

All this talk about lamb reminds me of my time in Saudi Arabia during Desert Storm. We were quartered with the Air Force at villas outside Riyahd. First couple of weeks we ate mainly MREs and some chicken till they got a chow hall set up. After that we frequently had what they said was lamb. Tasted okay but was very stringy with lots of fat. I think it was goat, not lamb.

.... we frequently had what they said was lamb. Tasted okay but was very stringy with lots of fat. I think it was goat, not lamb.
If there was lots of fat, it probably wasn't goat, most likely mutton from old sheep. Goat meat, cabrito, is leaner than poultry and other red meat and is very low in fat. Fatty and stringy sounds like meat from old sheep that had been raised for wool production. I haven't had cabrito in years, but I used to buy it bone-in at Restaurant Depot and slow cook it with lots of spices.

If there was lots of fat, it probably wasn't goat, most likely mutton from old sheep. Goat meat, cabrito, is leaner than poultry and other red meat and is very low in fat. Fatty and stringy sounds like meat from old sheep that had been raised for wool production. I haven't had cabrito in years, but I used to buy it bone-in at Restaurant Depot and slow cook it with lots of spices.
I just know it was very chewy with lots of gristle. Used to chew it for the taste then spit it out.

How did the tradition of eating a big chunk of pork (ham) to celebrate the resurrection of a Jew begin? I've never understood that one.

Over in Cedar Rapids, IA there's the Czech village. They have a bakery where you can place an order in advance for your Easter ham wrapped in bread dough baked in their ovens. It's very popular.

Also, there was mention of not liking the taste of lamb/mutton. It's an acquired taste just like eating beef, pork, chicken, etc. is an acquired taste. If you've been eating it for a while (since you were a toddler) you grow to like it.