Legends of Steam

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J Soshae

Reaction score
So I had a MM Legend in my desk drawer as a spare give-away. I decided to use it myself with some FVF in it.

This was my first time to smoke a pipe with a see-through stem. Even though I left the filter in the pipe, there was a good bit of visible moisture that condensed inside the stem. It was interesting to see how a well dried out tobacco still gives off a vapor trail during the combustion process.

Everyone should smoke a transparent stem at least once. I cannot believe it took me so long to finally do it.

Missouri-Meerschaum-Legend-Corncob-Tobacco-Pipe-Straight-Right-Side__26368_zoom.jpg

That is what I smoke, MM Legends. One has a clear stem like that and it has taught me to use a pipe cleaner and run it through often. Even with tobacco that has been dried well I still sop up humidity. Might have something to do with the relentless humid air here in Va but another reason IMHO for beginners to smoke a Cob.

My first smoke here in Boston was in a MM bent. It was the first bowl I had filled and smoked in over a week.
Aside from it being one of my best smokes in a long time, it was indeed fascinating to see how much more moisture condensed in the stem because of the humidity here as compared to back home in the arid high desert of Boise. Really interesting.

Pipe smoking is fun for all kinds of interesting reasons. 8)

Once you smoke a transparent stem, you realize that condensation forms in every pipe stem. This is why some pipe smokers prefer some carvers more for their stem turning talents, than their briar carving talents.

Dutch":gsc29ian said:
Once you smoke a transparent stem, you realize that condensation forms in every pipe stem. This is why some pipe smokers prefer some carvers more for their stem turning talents, than their briar carving talents.
This.

Seeing moisture in a clear stem also prompts the neurotic use of pipe cleaners. Maybe that's just me. :lol:

Just wait until it gets cold and that stem acts like a condensing coil...that'll keep ya smoking slow...

8)

If you like to see the tar and nicotine build = up on the inside of your pipe stem, get some of the GBD models which came with the clear "Perspex" stems. They get a nice gold/tan line in e'm which if you don't clean it out will eventually turn brown/ black :p mmmmm tastey :twisted: :twisted:

I have a GBD Perspex Mr. E sent my direction, this monster Canadian...it's hell to clench, but it's a gorgeous pipe. And yes, I can watch a little of the steam build up in the stem (along with my Harris Morta with a clear stem)...but the GBD Canadian has such a long briar shank I think it soaks up a lot of the moisture. Might be the intent of design on those. *shrug*