Leno vs Conan?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bub

Reaction score
I aplogize for being so mundane with all of the turmoil happening these days, but who do you favor?
My vote goes for Leno.

Oprah Winfrey, after all she believes we should become like the Danes just like Obama!

:lol!:

I would probably vote for Jonny also.
Does anyone remember Jack Paar...how about Steve Allen?
Jonny has my vote.

Lets get some balls into late night,,,someone who tells it like it is,,, and uncensored too,,,enough of these Pee Wee Herman clowns,,,"Gee, I understand you have a new book out, tell us about it",,,,,,"oh your latest movie is wonderful",,,bullshit,,,lets give an hour to Penn and Teller or Lewis Black,,,enough of the cutesy hollywood promotional crap,,,

here's one..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpVjW30I-YU

icon_biggrin.png

1. Carson
2. Leno

(I think I'm too young to remember Steve Allen . . . .)

I remember Steve Allen and Jack Paar. As I recall, Jack Paar used to cry a lot on camera - sort of an early Glen Beck. But I loved Allen, particularly in the Steve Allen Show, where Louis Nye, as the Man In The Street, coined the nickname Stevarino (as in Hi Ho Stevarino).

Of course, Johnny is and forever shall be the consummate master; however, in my opinion, Conan blows Jay right out of the water without even trying.

Jay Leno is yesterdays news! I hope he fails as miserably at 11:30 as as he did at 10:00. In my opinion he's not especially funny or entertaining. Hopefully Conan will go to Fox or another network where he's wanted... NBC is in LAST place for a reason! They suck! :twisted:

Danish_Pipe_Guy":ui9c8fkl said:
Jay Leno is yesterdays news! In my opinion he's not especially funny or entertaining. :twisted:
I have to agree, the few times I've watched was to see a special guest (like Bill Cosby recently), I found Leno to be boring :sleep: .
I still have found memories of staying up with my Grandma and watching Johnny Carson, she loved his show and watched every night.

I've never really been a Leno fan. He just doesn't bring any personality to the late-night time slot. Steve Allen was droll and situational, Carson was folksy with a wicked streak, Letterman is sardonic and loves to milk a running gag, and Conan is surreal and self-effacing.

Johnny Carson was a total dynamo: comedian (both standup and doing bits), magician, ranconteur, and a classy guy who was easy to talk to. He knew exactly what he could get past the censors, and he used a light touch and an innocent expression with it. Johnny always seemed very in-control but not uptight, toastmaster style.

Conan is very different--his bits are all about crazy stuff going on around him, and how powerless he is to stop it. I can understand why that's too different for Tonight Show audience... a little too weird and scripted (which makes sense, since Conan's background is a a comedy writer.) But better that than a failed, flopsweating attempt to be Johnny. Leno, to me, has never really progressed beyond being a standup comic on a big stage who's very needy for validation.

The late night king will forever be Carson. Leno and Conan are too shallow.
I agree with Mark. Penn and Teller will change the face of late night TV forever and Lewis Black will blow it into orbit :lol: :lol: