Less mentioned Italian makes (Il Duca, L'Anatra, Jacono etc)

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdamCordray

Reaction score
Anyone have experience with some of the less talked about Italian makes? I am a huge fan of Italian aesthetic, and in particular I've been taken by the finish and prices of some of the less talked about Italian makes. So if you own, have previously owned, or otherwise have input, by all means please share! Feel free to offer an opinion on how they compare to one another. I suppose the "more talked about" would include some that Ive already heard numerous good things, including Caminetto, Castello, Claudio Cavicchi, Luigi Viprati, Radice, Rinaldo, Ser Jacopo, and while I often pine after the finish and shaping of these marques, alas I cannot afford most of them. I'm not as familiar with Ardor, Ascorti, Il Ceppo, Il Duca, L'Anatra, Musico, but they certainly have some great designs.

Adam

I've had tens of gold stamped, older Acortis. Great pipes. On the estate market, generally very good value for your money. I wouldn't pay $200, even for a numbered Simmons bulldog, but in that $50-75 range, it's difficult to get a better pipe.

I own a couple of pipes made by Jacono, and they're great smokers. High quality craftsmanship, too. I love his rustication, but I don't care for the propensity to make them with smooth tops. I just don't care for dual finishes on a pipe. I feel the more traditional shapes are better looking than his more freehandish designs.

I owned a couple Beckers back when, and I didn't think a lot of them. Thank goodness trading was fast and heavy. Get 'em. Don't like 'em. Move 'em. Decent smokers, but dainty shanks etc. In my opinion, overpriced.

I also owned a few Il Ceppos. Again, quality craftsmanship. A little busier in design than I tend to like, but always quality. Decent smokers. I don't know what the market is like for them, but as a general rule, I wouldn't pay more for one than an Ascorti or Jacono.

I forgot to mention Mastro de Paja. I've owned several of those as well, and I would put them in the same league as Il Ceppo. Decent smokers, but nothing special. Nice craftsmanship, but too busy for me.

I totally admit to being a Becker and Castello whore when it comes to Italian pipes.

If neither of those were ever available to the market I would have happily only smoked Radice pipes.

Don't get me wrong, I have il Duca, L'antara, Ascorti, Caminetto, Capitello, Ser Jacopo, Ardor, il Ceppo, Rinaldo, Provenzano (watch this guy his pipes are a steal right now), Savinelli, Christiano, Baldi, Spanu and Armellini all of which are in my racks and love them all, but if there were only one pipe I could own from Italy then let it be a Radice, cheers.
banjo

Adam, I own and still smoke at times my Castello, Radice, Ardor and Viprati pipes. All excellent smokers!! I know other pipers that rave and enjoy their Ascorti, Il Ceppo, Il Duca, L'Anatra pipes, which are all extremely well crafted and a bit on the pricey side. Depending on the style/design.
The ones I own were purchased back when I had some money...lol. Being retired also keeps me on a budget. So, in the past I've  had very good luck with an Aldo Velani pipe I purchased back in the 80's, and still a great smoker today. Aldo's are made in Italy by the Barontini family. In the past 3 years I purchased a few on eBay at extremely reasonable prices.... under $100.00, a few under $50.00.....SORRY...I must add all were new. You would be surprised if you research Barontini pipes and see what other brand names they also make.
All are very well crafted and outstanding smokers. The ONLY issue I ever had with an Aldo was from the Ultima series, which was about $140.00, I needed to open the draft hole to 5/32". No fills on any of my smooth finished Aldo's. That's something I can't say about 2 of my Savinelli pipes.
Aldo's come in many shapes, sizes and designs, so take a look and see if you spot one that " hits you "! I personally prefer smoking my Aldo's over my Savinelli pipes.
I'm sure if you look on eBay you will find an Aldo you like for under $75.00, take a chance and it won't break the bank. In total I own 9 Aldo's and I'm extremely pleased with the craftsmanship on all.

PS, I agree with Banjo when it comes to Radice. But again a bit pricey

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Adam, see what happens when you get a little older!! Forgot too mention I own 7 pipes from T. Cristiano. Four are Signature Series and others are his Bosso series. All very well crafted for the price and excellent smokers. Need too say....NO FILLS on any of his smooth briar pipes. This Italian pipe maker was very much under rated in my opinion. His signature series pipes are second to none. A shame he passed away at a young age of 53. Extremely talented pipe maker/carver. You can find a new T. Cristiano Calabresi series pipe on eBay for under $30.00. A friend of mine owns two and really enjoys smoking them.
Remember, I've learned something after smoking a pipe for 49 years, you don't have to spend allot of money to get a great smoking pipe!!
Now as I got older I prefer pipes made from Algerian briar. I find in recent years Algerian briar smokes a bit cooler and the briar used is well aged.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

I own many "Italians" made by the "usual suspects." One carver I truly enjoy is the little-mentioned Alberto Bonfiglioli. I absolutely enjoy smoking my "Albertos!!" Never a bad bowl, always smokes cool and enjoyable. FWIW :cheers: FTRPLT

My hang up with most Italian pipes are the stems. Typically not to my preferences. I will say that Il Duca fits my specs. I own one and it is a great little smoker. I'm still looking for just the right Ser Jac. I love their aesthetic.

Jesse, what is it about the stems that you don't like? No slot funneling, not thin enough behind the button?

If you look at most of them, it's either one stepped hole, or one solid hole through a piece of acrylic with zero slot other than a shallow groove cut into the end. While this design can smoke well in certain conditions, it is not optimal. I definitely favor wide open draws and deeply grooved slots. That's just not something many Italian pipes have.

I forgot to mention Mastro de Paja. I've owned several of those as well, and I would put them in the same league as Il Ceppo. Decent smokers, but nothing special. Nice craftsmanship, but too busy for me.

This thread would not be complete without mentioning the Maestro himself, Salvatore Amorelli.