Less than ideal temps for tobacco storage

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrumsAndBeer

Reaction score
Question for the veterans who have been cellaring tobacco for a long time. I have been smoking a pipe off and on since I was 18, but it's only been over the last 6-7 years that I have been putting tobacco away for the future. I know that tobacco is best kept sealed air tight in a dry, dark, cool environment, but say if I had the air tight, dry & dark part covered, but my storage temps were less than ideal. I am talking central northern California garage temps that can range from 45-90 degrees through out any given year. I realize the pitfalls vacuumed sealed euro-tins losing their seals with temperature fluctuations and perhaps a couple other issues that could potentially arise, rust with humidity and such, but just how important or detrimental are the recommended 60-70 degree temps to the tobacco itself? I have read that tobacco goes through hell during processing and is stored in a variety of different climates prior to processing.

Anyway, I have a spacious cabinet in my garage that would make a fantastic tobacco cellar, if not for the temp changes. Any of you long-term cellar guys store their stash in some other less than ideal place besides under their bed, in the guest room closet (which I don't have), or in a drawer next to their jock-strap & underwear? I'd like to actually be able to hang up a few more shirts & without having to sell of a portion of my stash. :lol!:

You must have cameras in my house.

"besides under their bed, in the guest room closet (which I don't have), or in a drawer next to their jock-strap & underwear?"

:lol!:

The bulk of my cellar is under ground in a reasonably controlled environment. The average temp is 55 degrees F., no lower than 51 when it was a really cold snowy winter/spring, no more than 60 F during the hot season. If you have something like a storm/bomb shelter it would work. The deeper you go the more stable the temps....

Don't freeze it, don't cook it. Manage that and you'll be ok.

Sure - consistent, moderate temps are better for the long run, but it's not going to destroy the leaf. As you're already aware of the problems rapid fluctuations in temp/relative humidity can create with sealed tins, I don't think there are going to many massive problems that you aren't already prepared for (although if you're up around 90 in the garage frequently, or for long periods of time, I might be a little wary, to be honest).

If you can move them into a more climate controlled area, it would be better...but I think you'll PROBABLY be ok as long as you keep an eye on things.

Good Question! We all know heat speeds aging but what happens in cycles over years? I don't have a great pallet but I did put two tins one coin flip and a McClelland tin in my garage closet in Southern AZ and I brought the same two home to live in the davecave here in Western Wisconsin. I'll see if I can taste the difference in a year or two.  :shock:

Chris, to be honest you'll be fine storing some in the garage where you're at. I would hazard to guess what you'll find is that the leaf you store in the garage will go through something like the sweats and age at a faster pace. I lived in central Texas and Arizona for years without air conditioning, temps would get as high as 120 in the houses easily and stay there for months at a time. I never experienced any noticable loss in quality. If you're really concerned though take a few tins you have multiple of and store one of each of those out there for a year or two and then do a side by side comparison.

Jim

Here in New England, I use the basement for Mason jars and under the bed for tins.  So the key descriptors for me are cool, stable, dark and under vacuum. Last Fall, I popped a full Mason jar (under vacuum) of Dunhill 965 that I'd put away in 2001. After 15 years, it was smooth, smokey, sweetish and tasty. I've read comments that Latakia goes downhill after five years. Not so in my basement. FWIW and good luck.