Lets get down to the nitty gritty

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bub

Reaction score
Lets get down to the nitty gritty. Why do we smoke pipes?
This may sound like a silly question, but in previous threads it sounds like people go to rather heroic measures to light up a pipe with their favorite tobacco and puff a way.
I see three components: (1) the pipe, (2) the tobacco and (3) the puffing experience.
Clearly pipes can be works of art that we appreciate and they can be great smoking instruments. Tobaccos can also be great facilitators that help us appreciate the pipes and the smoking experience.
Now, for the nitty gritty, what exactly is the smoking experience?
Let me suggest some possibilities:
(1) a nice way to end a meal,
(2) a way to relax,
(3) a sense of relationship with other smokers,
(4) a way to get in touch with our feelings about nature and the world around us....I liked what Natch said"What makes my winter pipes often the best is we have a few acres of land, thickly wooded, and I have several fire pits throughout the property, so on a cold day or night I can get a roaring fire going, out of the wind, and it makes my pipe just that much more enjoyable".
What do you think about the smoking experience?,
Bub
p.s. I would like to hear from TJ amd LL

Bub, I agree with all the reasons given. Part of the relaxation provided beyond the oral satisfaction is the use of the hands light and tamp as well as to hold the pipe. As Natch said, the experience can transcend merely smoking and relaxing, whether alone or in company.

Bub,

Great thread.

With me it's just plain old pursuit of tobacco flavor.

For flavor, I like variety too.

Currently I have the following open:

Syrian Mountain Latakia,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,gifted to me by George of PPR&R

Balkan Sobranie Original Smoking Mixture,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,gifted to me by Greg Pease

Solani 633

Samuel Gawith St James Flake

Both the Solani and Sam Gawith are vapers but are uniquely different.

Thanks for asking.

I hope LL, PPR&R, chimes in.

Others too.

What made me fall in love with the pipe was it affording me the opportunity to sit and enjoy life. All the minutes in the day that I take for granted and just let pass by come into focus when I load my pipe and sit down.

It just happens to be pipe smoking for me but I hope everyone gets a chance to have something as rewarding in their life.

For me I love it all. The pipe well chosen is a beautiful work of art and a fine smoking instrument. The tobacco again well chosen to provide taste, from a newly opened virgin tin to a well aged and greatly anticipated cellared blend. The friendships made between the Brothers of Briar. The one remaining draw for me and I never saw it coming is that when I take the time to smoke one of my pipes the whole world slows down. It gives me time to think time to appreciate just being....

Friendship and comaraderie too,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,yes indeed!

Listening to Antonio Carlos Jobim at the moment,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,on vinyl.

Midnight Blues":9eg6hi3w said:
...The one remaining draw for me and I never saw it coming is that when I take the time to smoke one of my pipes the whole world slows down. It gives me time to think time to appreciate just being....
I think that hits it for me... I experience pipe smoking for all the reasons mentioned, but I really believe that pipe-smoking is a wonderful stress reducer.

My wife's boss used to smoke pipes in younger years but gave it up for fear of developing health problems. He always states he misses it but will wait until he's at least 70 to take it up again. But I notice his life is filled with stress (we're personal friends) and often think he going to cave under. I think he should be smoking the pipe now... he's in his mid '50's.
:D Paul

Dragon,,,,,,,,

Give the Mrs.' boss one of those Dunhills and a half dozen tins of Marlin Flake,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,would be a shrewd investment,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but not tax deductible,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,unless you call it charity.

I smoke for the relaxation, for the tastes of various tobaccos, but mainly the deep sense of calm and centering that I find in a bowl of tobacco. Of course, there is a great sense, too, of continuity with those smokers who have gone before us. I wish that there were more of us in our geographic areas to enhance that feeling of camarderie.

I don't know if I can even put it into words. I've always been interested in pipes and, particularly, the scents of the various tobaccos. Soon as I met someone who actually smoked a pipe it was a no-brainer. I love the flavors of the various weeds, the amazing shapes and craftmanship that goes into the pipes, the friendships and information shared between the few out there who partake of this hobby and, as Natch and a few others mentioned, enjoying a pipe in the great outdoors. It just seems proper to have one in my mouth whilst fishing, hiking, camping, etc.

Mostly stress relief.

But it opens doors to much much more.

Elrick":h2f6hmqe said:
"We are dreamers, shapers, singers and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ and we know many things...
There is a storm coming, a black and terrible storm. We would not have our knowledge lost or used to ill purpose. From this place we will launch ourselves into the stars. With luck you will never see our kind again in your lifetime. I know you have your orders Captain. Detain us if you wish, but I can only ask you to trust us."

Bub,

You and everyone elses contributions to this thread more than adequately sums up my affinity to the pipe.

One thing that does stick out for me is Bob's comment on those that have gone before us and the desire for more of us in our respective geogrphic locations, for the camarderie.

I miss the days of my childhood during the 50's and 60's when the pipe was more common. Even back then I was fascinated with pipes. I just wish it could be like that again. We are definitely in changing times and I am not all that pleased with a lot of the changes.

Bub,

I think there's one reason on the list that you forgot to mention.The fact that your pipe is truly an extension of your overall persona.I work in a largely spanish community.Most of my clients are Puerto Rican expatriots who speak very little enlish.My nickname has become "la pipa" because they rarely see me without a pipe clenched in my teeth.They might not always know my christian name but if they ask where "la pipa" is, anyone working at my place instantly know who they're talking about :lol:

Best,
Dock
:pipe: