Lets have a vote to find a winner!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The pipe man

Reaction score
First let me say that I love all my pipes. Metal, corn cob and briar. They all have something different to offer from style to functionality but this question is about my metal pipes and two in particular. The Falcon and the Kirsten. If you own both then please vote. Which one do you like the most and explain why. My vote is for the Falcon and its all because of the taste. I have many bowl's each for a different type of tobacco. I never mix different tobaccos in them. Cherry is for cherry. Vanilla is for vanilla and buttered rum is for well you get it. I try this in other pipes and none come close to the flavor I get from my falcon. Yes you can do the same with a Kirsten but the taste is just not there. What say you?
Jim
16515247901741833263174121215091.jpg

We did an “Engrave Your Falcon Bowl” POY thing here at BoB in 2016…spearheaded by yours truly. One of our own…Ozark Wizard did the carving on bowls that were sent to him by members for just a few bucks. A good time was had by those who participated.

I put the above here first to illustrate the point that the Falcon is far and away my personal favorite. A Kirsten is fine and fun…but doesn’t even come close to the legendary Falcon. As final proof I’m posting a pic I took in my kitchen of my own personal set of Falcons (named Ebony and Ivory). It took a while to get the set together. They both still are unsmoked and form part of my collection of fond BoB memories. They’re special.

372C3F1E-CA38-4153-97DF-07AE8E4A35B4.jpeg

Love my Falcon pipes too, often smoke my 2016 pipe and think of Ozzie and the other members here when I do.

Never tried a Kirsten as the ones I've seen around have been too pricey compared to a Falcon in my book and too fiddly too.

I like the fact that a bit of pipe cleaner can be twisted around the nub in the Falcon humididome and it will suck up any extra moisture and the fact that you can use mutliple bowls for the one chassis plus they're great smokers.

Come on BH, what's the point of having a pipe if not to smoke it, give ebony and ivory a go.

We did an “Engrave Your Falcon Bowl” POY thing here at BoB in 2016…spearheaded by yours truly. One of our own…Ozark Wizard did the carving on bowls that were sent to him by members for just a few bucks. A good time was had by those who participated.

I put the above here first to illustrate the point that the Falcon is far and away my personal favorite. A Kirsten is fine and fun…but doesn’t even come close to the legendary Falcon. As final proof I’m posting a pic I took in my kitchen of my own personal set of Falcons (named Ebony and Ivory). It took a while to get the set together. They both still are unsmoked and form part of my collection of fond BoB memories. They’re special.

View attachment 4719
Very nice. I really like the shillelagh. That's next on my list. There is someone selling new ones in different colors and without bowls on e bay. I was looking at them yesterday. They cost a pretty Penney though. About 50.00 bucks. Is your white bowl a meer or briar?

Very nice. I really like the shillelagh. That's next on my list. There is someone selling new ones in different colors and without bowls on e bay. I was looking at them yesterday. They cost a pretty Penney though. About 50.00 bucks. Is your white bowl a meer or briar?

It’s meerschaum. I kind of remember that I had to order it from England…or maybe Eastern Europe. And I think the white bit was the hardest to find. But it’s been maybe 5 years so things might have changed.

03079DCC-3483-4924-90F4-7884812ABEF9.jpeg

Not a fan of these metallic pipes! But my uncle sure was!! He had six or more at least! Don't know what happened to them when he passed!! FTRPLT

B.H. Great Fishnbanjo pic!!
To bad you can't find them. Today they go from around 35 to 80 bucks or so on EBay depending on condition of course and how many different bowls come with them and there condition also. I don't know if you have ever tried a Falcon but I think you should. I wasn't a fan of them for many years mostly because of the look METAL. To me the look of the briar grain and all the shapes is what made collecting so much fun and classy. I must say this though before I go on, I have almost 70 pipes of many different brands styles and countries and I swear, everyone of them smokes a little different. I've come to know how most of my pipes like to be filled and smoked. I think besides blending, loading up a fresh pipe and firing her up are the two best things about smoking a pipe though taking them all out and cleaning, waxing and polishing them on a rainy Saturday or Sunday afternoon. Anyway, please try smoking a Falcon. You will then understand why your uncle was so adorned to them. You won't believe how much better your tobacco will taste. Have a great day!
Jim

Falcon is a pipe brand that was created in 1936 by American engineer Kenly Bugg. Nowadays, Falcon pipes are made in England and are amongst the most sold in the world. They are particularly appreciated for their original style that combines tradition (a bowl made out of briar) and modernity (an aluminum shank). Falcon pipes are entirely customizable, since the bowl is removable. You can easily unscrew it and put another Falcon bowl with a different shape (Dovers, Algiers, Plymouth, Genoa, Bulldog...) on the aluminum shank. All combinations are feasible!
(Taken from La Pipe Rit)

I vote for Kirsten's... For their superior cooling and moisture removal! Haven't tried any other metal pipes, but fell for the Kirsten when I stumbled into their shop back in the '90s next to the needle in Seattle. Now that I have a collection (8) in three different bores (3/8" 7/16" 1/2") in the short 3" shank (radiator), except for the Designer's 3-1/4" shank. Bought my last pipe from Kirsten direct in Jan 2022, a Horizon:

You know that this is a year old…right?

I like the Falcon better than the Kirsten. I have a Kirsten and, to me, it is hard to clean, particularly the open metal chamber. Also, it is somewhat difficult to find parts for them. Don't get me wrong, I like Kirsten but I like the simplicity of the Falcon better.

Aggghhh TPM I thought I had a Kirsten (I have bid on a lot) but what I have is a Bryson dohhhh oh well I will be in the market for one bent stem now. I love the falcons prob because of the nostalgia, because I think it was the first pipe I remember as a kid seeing one of dads mates breathing fire and smoke like a dragon. And their simplicity and ruggedness and the whole "working mans pipe". But if Kristens draw like the Byson I would love them also.

1684121586859.jpeg

Last edited: