Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dutch

Reaction score
I have hesitated to start this thread, because I have some concern that it may increase ebay bidding competition on Marco Biagini's fine Italian briars-
http://www.ebay.com/sch/bima1960/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=25&_trksid=p3984.m1431.l2654

However, over the years I have managed to score a few of Marco's creations, and I figured it is time to share them with the bretheren here on BoB. For the money, it is really hard to beat a Moretti. I have more of them in my collection than any other brand, and for good reason. They are simply flawless IMO, and one of Marco's best selling points, is his excellent stem work.

If you own one of Marco's pipes, please feel free to add your pics to this thread, and tell us what you enjoy about them.

Here is a pic of my very first Moretti I purchased a few years back. This pipe I've dedicated to English blends, and it simply sings. The internal geometry on this pipe must be close to perfect, judging by how easily it draws, smokes, and stays lit.

DSC00222.jpg

This little horn shaped Moretti is very lightweight, and makes a great clencher.....

DSC00223.jpg

I purchased this MAGNUM MORETTI on EBAY about 6 months ago for 60.00. the pipe sits very comfortabely in my hand, and does have a GREAT draw for its short stem size. what do you guys think, and as ALWAYS thank you for your time and consideration on this post. GYSGT T.A.WIENS USMC

leatherneck":vmm7kgkf said:
I purchased this MAGNUM MORETTI on EBAY about 6 months ago for 60.00. the pipe sits very comfortabely in my hand, and does have a GREAT draw for its short stem size. what do you guys think, and as ALWAYS thank you for your time and consideration on this post. GYSGT T.A.WIENS USMC

Gunny, I remember that pipe! Almost bid on it myself, but had too many bids going at once. lol That is a very nice variation on the Rhodesian theme! Thanks for posting your pics.

Here is my bent Dublin with some nice straight grain and plateau rim, that is beginning to color nicely. Another great lightweight clencher.....

DSC00224.jpg

Here is a super lightweight cuttyesque flame grain Moretti I purchased in 2011. In spite of it's weight, it smokes very cool.....

DSC00225.jpg

Beautiful, all of them. Love the rustication on the second one, Dutch, and the last one, the smooth with the canted bowl--stunning. Impossible not to think highly of the Moretti brand from your pictures and Leatherneck's.

PreppyHippy":bwviasf3 said:
Beautiful, all of them. Love the rustication on the second one, Dutch, and the last one, the smooth with the canted bowl--stunning. Impossible not to think highly of the Moretti brand from your pictures and Leatherneck's.
Thanks for the compliments PH! I am very pleased with the quality of the pipes that I have received from Marco Biagini. He is a true gentleman to do business with, and has the ability to pull off so many different styles of pipes, including some absolutely HUGE briar pipes.

Here is another lightweight straight grain clencher that I have yet to find the inspiration to smoke.....

DSC00226.jpg

Here are a couple videos, showcasing Marco's Monster Morettis.....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tLNx6IwN6W8" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/I-Bu6YBfZo8" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here's my most recent purchase from Marco, a Rhodesian nosewarmer.....

DSC00227.jpg

Here's another handy little nosewarmer, a flame grain tomato.....

DSC00228.jpg

This is a little Oom Paul nosewarmer that I have dedicated to Rattray's Brown Clunee.....

DSC00229.jpg

Nice collection! :cheers:

Those are all really well done pipes and I especially like the blast on the first few. The Bulldog nosewarmer reminds me of the Posellas that got some mention a few months ago.

Hey Dutch, those are awesome pipes.

I had soem questions for you if you don't mind...

I was going to make two or three nose warmers. Could you tell me what you like about them? What things you prefer? Do you like them bent? Since you are holding them less does rustication matter?

anything else you have to tell me would be great, I want to make some really nice ones. But they will most likely be appalling failures oh well, such is that darned learning curve thing :)

rev

the rev":a0jxqowh said:
Hey Dutch, those are awesome pipes.

I had soem questions for you if you don't mind...

I was going to make two or three nose warmers. Could you tell me what you like about them? What things you prefer? Do you like them bent? Since you are holding them less does rustication matter?

anything else you have to tell me would be great, I want to make some really nice ones. But they will most likely be appalling failures oh well, such is that darned learning curve thing :)

rev
Rev, thanks for the questions. I like nosewarmers, simply because they are easy to clench, and you are less likely to bump into something with your pipe while clenching. I prefer them straight to 1/8th-1/4 bent. Doesn't really matter, since they tend to gurgle less than longer pipes. I really like the nosewarmers with the larger bores, similar to a bulldog. Somewhere around 14/16th's seems ideal.

As for boring out the draft hole though, I would use some caution. It has become popular nowdays to modify pipes by taking a drill bit and opening up the draft bore. This can improve the smoking characteristics of some pipes, but can destroy the smoking qualities of a nosewarmer. I experimented with a Mario Grandi nosewarmer I had, and bored out the briar, as well as the vulcanite stem. The end result was too much airflow, since nosewarmers give a much richer smoke anyhow.

Some of my nosewarmers are rusticated, and some are smooth. I can't tell much difference in the two, but some folks feel rusticated dissipates heat more effectively.

Thanks for all the compliments guys! :D

Here is a thick walled, rusticated apple, but in reality, about the size of a baseball in the hand.....

DSC00230.jpg

A magnum billiard, my largest Moretti. This baby will smoke around 2 1/2 hours topped off with an English blend.....

DSC00232.jpg