Let's see some pipe tampers

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 3604

Reaction score
I've used every thing from a stick to a 30-06 cartridge, (a spent one of course! :bom: ). I decided a while back to make my own from a deer brow tine and a spent rifle cartridge.

The pipe in the photo was made by Charles Sharp. I really like it but I've lost his contact info a few years ago. Does anyone know him and if he's still making pipes?

That's a cool idea Beeman. Since I'm just starting out and need a tamper, and since I have an abundance of 06 casings and deer antlers...
Thank you for a great idea.
oh, and that is a good looking pipe too. Mr. Sharp definitely has some skills.

Center-fire pistol brass works well, too. Cuts down on the weight/ length.

This pipe tool was given to me by my grandpa on my mom's side on Christmas night. He said it is about 50 years old. It is stamped "Richlands, Sheffield England" and has a picture of an old gas lamp post on it. I think its in great condition for being that old. There are two blank spots on either side that I'm going to have ingraved with BTCS and M.E.N. His rate while he was in the Navy and his initials. It is now my prized pipe tool.

https://i.servimg.com/u/f39/19/03/06/77/imag0342.jpg

I will post pictures soon hopefully, but I have a few that I trade off with. I predominantly use three different ones; two I made myself out of zebra wood and rosewood, and I bought the third from Anthony Harris who made it out of rosewood as well, though his is much thinner and overall much better.

Here's the tamper I use when in the house sitting and smoking, It's an 8deco tamper I got last year from sp.com and I LOOOVE it! It's made of bamboo and just works perfectly and is not expensive !! :twisted: :twisted: I use a pipe nail when out - n-about. If I loose it , no biggy!! :twisted: :twisted:

My parents got together and gave me this one years ago.

image10.jpg