Let's Talk Mustache Wax..

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puros_bran

Reaction score
So for years I've been incorrectly grooming my stache. A razor or a trimmer is not your hairy friends friend. I've decided to quit doing it wrong... So.. I blindly bought a tin of Dandy Candy Moustache Wax. I'll let you know my thoughts when it arrives.

How 'bout you? Do you use it? Any favorite brands,tips, etc?

I use this locally-made stuff that's a mixture of beeswax, olive oil and a hint of peppermint (or tea-tree, something). I hardly use it because I'm not necessarily "styling" my 'stache, but it keeps the fly-a-ways from looking goofy or shooting straight up my nose.

8)

I don't normally use any but, when I do I use the Cook Bates stick, not that tube junk.
Not that ones any better then the other, just that it works for me better. Some prefer the tins.

Kyle I imagine the whole point is shaping, so 'keeping fly always out of my nose' qualifys.

My whole deal is it's always getting wet when I drink and then when I cut it back I've got all those prickly ends.

Cart is that some kind of 'drug store blend' ? You have to forgive my ignorance I'm a total noob.

puros_bran":wmot63gw said:
Kyle I imagine the whole point is shaping, so 'keeping fly always out of my nose' qualifys.

My whole deal is it's always getting wet when I drink and then when I cut it back I've got all those prickly ends.

Cart is that some kind of 'drug store blend' ?  You have to forgive my ignorance I'm a total noob.
Yeah, most likely, as I said I don't use it much and I've had it for years. It also depends on how your applying it. There's a good video on Youtube.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/mUaGKjKXY6k" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>

I've used several brands over the years and had a friend recently ask me what I would recommend to him. I wrote a brief pro and con description of the ones I've used. I'll copy/paste it here. Hopefully it helps you out.

Fisticuffs
pros- pretty neutral color, pleasant lemon scent, easy to work, they include a cool sticker!
cons- weak hold, can smell like old wax later in the day.
I use Fisticuffs to hold stray hairs down but not to achieve the curls.

Firehouse (Tacky)
pros- superior hold that can last for days and can even hold up through a hot shower, pretty neutral in color, nice honey scent
cons- hard to work especially on cold days, forget trying to get it out of your stache quickly, relatively expensive

Ourea
pros- very similar in hold and texture to Fisticuffs, very fascinating sandalwood scent, from a small company with excellent service
cons- weak hold, relatively expensive, can clump if not blended well.

Clubman
pros-cheap! water soluble, nice hold, different colors, easy to apply, includes a little comb
cons- colour can get everywhere especially the black (hands, counter, towels), washes out easily and colour will bleed if wet.

Have to agree with ya on the Clubman Jesse, I used the neutral and the colored once.
Doesn't hold for me (more lanolin then wax?) and what a mess with the colored. :fpalm:

puros_bran":sds2kvb7 said:

Sorta, depends on how long your 'stache is. I keep mine pretty short (just less than 1") and I'll slather some wax on it once in a while, run a comb down it, and off I go. The wax will help prevent snot, drinks, food and nesting birds from being a nuisance.

Clubman's works well, I just didn't like the feel or application of it. The stuff I use comes in a chapstick-like tube and gets applied directly. I barely have to touch it.

8)

So, an update.

Dandy Candy by Petal Pushers.. Love the scent, limited experiance but head and shoulders above the other product I used. I have to hit it with the hair dryer once it's on... Not long, but still. The biggest negative is that it's now sold through Phoinex Artisan Accoutraments and I'll never do business with those people again. Ordered on the 7th, got a false 'shipping notice' on the 9th, product actually shipped on the 12th, I got it on the 19th.. Unacceptable. I emailed a simple note basically saying 'hey it's been a minute, what's going on' and got a ridiculous email in return about how it's my fault BECAUSE I didn't read the fine print stating it can take up to two weeks to recieve the product.. Hmmmm. Okay, hopefully they read the small print that westcoast shaving, bullgoose, classic shaving, and even Connaught (located in the UK) can get anything I order to me in days, not weeks..so. No more Dandy Candy for me.. And oh yeah, I won't be buying PAA shaving soap either. Small print is a bitch, no? Lol.

The 'Other Product'. I got impatient and bought some Clubman at the beauty salon supply store.. It's biggest Pro is that it's easy to apply. It stinks, and it gobs the hair into clumps.. But it's easy to apply and you don't have to wait two weeks to get it.

Overall I'm pretty impressed with the wax idea and it does seem to be working the intended purpose.. Now I need to find a decent balm.

Beard Balm. Kinda like an oil but it's got Shea butter and beeswax in it to provide some hold.   Honestly I couldn't care less about the oil aspect but My goatee is curling to the left..  It's either cut it or do something to train it, and hairspray makes me go into fits... To many years hauling chemicals have made me sensitive to that crap.

puros_bran":f1zfrk0w said:
Beard Balm.  Kinda like an oil but it's got Shea butter and beeswax in it to provide some hold.   Honestly I couldn't care less about the oil aspect but My goatee is curling to the left..  It's either cut it or do something to train it, and hairspray makes me go into fits... To many years hauling chemicals have made me sensitive to that crap.
Quite sleeping on your right side. ;)
I know this might sound funny but, to keep my mustache from look'en
really bad I only sleep with my temples touching the pillow to keep
me from laying on my mustache. Before I did that I always had problems
with the left side of it being I use to sleep on my left side all the time,
now it's which ever side will let me. ;)

I really like Hndlbars Moustache Wax ( but I just looked and their website it down and their ebay page is empty, so they must not be doing that anymore).

Bummer

Just gonna jump right in here... :lol!:

I'm a Clubman fan myself... I go with the natural to avoid the mess. My wife whipped up a small batch of home made wax a while back... bees wax and some other stuff. Worked great, lasted all day and smelled pretty darn good too... now that I think about it I should pester her to make some more.

Considering I try and follow the K.I.S.S. principle in life, 'stash wax is more stuff to deal with and besides i have a full toothbrush 'satsh that doesn't need wax !! :twisted: :twisted:

I have only just recently begun using stache wax on a regular basis due to a career change, and I'm using Dandy Candy Mustache Trainer. However, I will agree with Jesse that the Fisticuffs is weak on hold, but will keep the strays at bay. While I have not used the Firehouse Wax myself, Jesse, you say it can be hard to remove. Ive recently been using beard oil every night on my stache, not only is it keeping it noticeably healthier, and this could be common knowledge I'm just not entirely sure. When you apply it to a waxed stache (heavy or light wax) and let it sit, the oil breaks down the wax and you can run a comb through it a few times and the wax is gone. The oil still on the hairs continues to break down the wax, come morning, you've got a healthy and wax-free stache ready for the new day.

Dandy candy dried out on me within a month of purchasing.

Fisticuffs is sitting right next to it as waxy as ever.

Yours too,PB? I was liking Dandy Candy for a while. Thought it would be perfect for winter, then misplaced it. Found it two days ago under my hamper and noticed it was a lot harder than I remembered. That was also the day the temperature dropped about 15 degrees, so I chalked it up to that.

Purdy name that doesn't lead to a purdy mouf.. How's a guy gonna squeal like a pig if he ain't got a purdy mouf.