Let's Talk Mustache Wax..

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eric, you're right about the oil. I tried the Petal Pusher wax remover and immediately noticed it smelled exactly like this Badger beard oil I had. Tried both, side by side, on my stache thoroughly waxed with Firehouse Tacky and the results were the same. About a minute later I could comb it with the microscopic Clubman comb, then washed it out with some pine tar soap and there was no trace of the wax.

I tried to "fix" my Dandy Candy by melting it in its tin on the coffee maker. Now I've got a shrunken block of hard candle wax rattling around in the tin. How can they get away with selling this stuff? This knocks Stachebomb off the bottom of the list for me.
I wanted to like Fisticuffs. I like the slider style pocket tins, and its one of the few that offer a Bay Rum scent, and hey, free zombie pirate sticker. It just doesn't have any hold.
Fisticuffs Stronghold is better, for a medium hold, but the "citrus" scent makes me nauseous. It smells like artificial powdered lemonade drink mix. More specifically, it's a fist sized lump of lemonade mix, hard as quartz, rattling around in its cardboard can in a refugee camp outside of Knoxville Tennessee in the summer of 82.
To be fair, it wasn't a refugee camp, but a campground. To really fair, it was a parking lot, not a campground. Dad thought it would be fun to camp out and go to the World's Fair. So did about 8,000 other people crammed into a treeless acre of gravel on the edge of town, with weather alternating between blazing sun and pouring rain. Plus it was Knoxville, which somehow makes everything worse. I was 20 the next time I was back. Went to an Aerosmith concert and left with crablice. So ef Knoxville and ef Fisticuffs for making me think of Knoxville. Your mileage may vary.

Fisticuffs: for people who never got crabs in Knoxville.

That reminds me, I miss Beelejazz.

Making your own beard balm is not overly difficult, and I had the luck to have my girlfriend make it for me :p

Mix shea and coconut butter, some almond oil and a bit of beeswax*, then add essential oils (we had quite a bit of a problem finding cat-safe ones), and done! It helps to make the beard more presentable, not just like a recently-groomed hobo. :D

For quite some time I thought that I won't need it, but after I decided to grow it more than 2+cm (~1 in) - it becomes a neccessity.

*More beeswax for more hold, if desired, but at a certain point it ceases to be a balm and turns into beard-wax then.

OK, I periodically change my face; no facial hair, full beard, trim, full beard long (3 - 4 inches down fromchin, 19th century style), goatee with without stache.  Now I've got just a stache, and for the first time I've grown it out to handlebar proportions.

Firehouse wax.  Only a little bit at atime.  The biggest problem I've run into is knowing or not knowing how exactly to trim it.  I hatelike hell getting a bunch of long curly hairs which at times means I've no choice but to heavily wax them and twist them together and curl.  Always a last resort.

Last January and February I had the best curly handlebar stache.  It was curled so naturally and long as well.  My wife, always a killer when it comes to fun facial hair, told me it was looking too cartoonish and I had to trim it back.  I trimmed it with out being in the proper head and ended up cutting some nice, curled long batches of haircompletely short.  ARGH!  

I mentioned I was growing my stache out.  right now it's wider than before, has a nice thick curl at the ends, but there's no drastic "big loops" anymore.

Eric TKT:  You mentioned Beard Oil.  I've been most interested in using this on my stache as well as saving some up for the inevitable beard to come in the future.  What brand out of the many that are out there do you use and recomnmnend?  And please, brothers, feel free to chime in with your experience and recommendations as well.

Many Thanks - S13

ps - No I wantto go back and watch thoseinteresting lookingvideoes...............

I use beard oil and a beard conditioner. It helps to keep my beard soft and tames the wild hairs. I have used several different products such as:

https://www.beardbrand.com/collections/beard-oil/products/spiced-citrus-beard-oil

https://bluebeardsoriginal.com/beard-saver/

http://www.brooklyngrooming.com/collections/beard/products/commando-beard-oil

I also make my own beard oil which is very easy to do. I mix up my own base and then add whatever scent that I want to it and there you go "scented beard oil".

I've had a handlebar for so many years I don't know when. Just grows that way. Never thought about putting wax on it. Still don't.

Mine isn't as grand as some but it does the trick. I don't mess with it unless to trim a few long stragglers once in a while. Here' a pic from a good few yrs ago that serves to illustrate. Not the best pic, but it's all I got!

rande-reed-01.jpg

Cheers,

RR

I've grown out my moustache to a wild west type of wide, thick curvy-ended pseudo handlebar. But the hairs get frazzled and frizzy and wax is just good to plaster the hairs down. Would you recommend a beard oil to get the moustache hairs tamed to flow together more without some going awry?