Lewtang, batten down the hatch

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LL

Reaction score
The weather service is saying 30 below zero w/50 mph winds tomorrow. :twisted:

(You SoCal and Arizona guys don't know what you're missing.)

30 below? What part of the country? North Dakota? Down here in Colorado, it's just snow, snow, snow. It is DUMPING out right now!

LL":0lyobae6 said:
The weather service is saying 30 below zero w/50 mph winds tomorrow. :twisted:

(You SoCal and Arizona guys don't know what you're missing.)
Oh contrair (spelling). I know exactly what I'm missing. :lol!: Freezing my you know what off. My brother in northern Minnesota is trying to talk me into going ice fishing with him. Mama didn't raise no fool (well I guess she raised one, my brother for going out and fish in weather like that :joker: )

Nothing here as severe yet, but winter has arrived a month early. In the last 24 hours about a foot of snow and the temps in the low 20s. Its 1966 all over again....

Mike I've always wanted to go ice fishing.. Sitting in an igloo with a blazing fire, drinkin hot coffee, with a hole in the ice pulling up fish for supper appeals to me for some reason.

:twisted:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/O-T0Hh9rRVk" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>

puros_bran":73xdrmqu said:
Mike I've always wanted to go ice fishing.. Sitting in an igloo with a blazing fire, drinkin hot coffee, with a hole in the ice pulling up fish for supper appeals to me for some reason.
My brother conned me into giving it a try. I'm going up there end of January or February and give it a try. I guess Mama "did" raise two fools.

I have many fond memories of ice fishing with my grandfather in eastern South Dakota and western Minnesota when I was a kid. He had a wooden shack on skids that we would pull out on the ice, wood stove and all. Was quite comfortable as I remember but then again I would stay outside in the cold until I was numb then. Took a long time to get the feeling back in your fingers and toes. :lol:

BRRrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!! Not me man though I would like to go ice fishing someday!

As a former South Dakotan, I don't miss it. :santa: Even an extra 400 miles south makes a big difference. earl

Well, this one didn't rev up as much as forecast. Max lows around -20, and max wind 38-40mph. Brutal windchill, but only 4-6 inches of snow.

Almost lawnchair-on-the-patio weather. 8)

The way it's been going---still not even official winter yet---Jan/Feb will be nasty.

Got to go out in the middle of it all last night! A train stalled out on a hill west of town, we had to run out there with a few engines and shove it up hill then run around it and put the whole works back together to take the rest of the way to Harvey, ND. It was damn cold up on the hill screwing around outside, brutal windchill and being sandblasted by blowing snow.

Once we got up there they weren't running any vans due to the blizzard so it was either be stuck up in Harvey for 24 hours or better or ride in the second engine of a train heading back; we chose the latter. On the way back we had to stop and wait because our road foreman got his hi-rail pickup stuck in a drift on the tracks. They had to send an engine out to plow a path through the tracks and then tow him up to a crossing to set back on since his truck derailed in the drift! 18 hours after we started we were back home.

Pretty bad out there, literally white-out conditions, we couldn't see where we were going at all, busting through 3-5 foot drifts. One of them was big enough it actually slowed our train down! Winter is here! :penguin: