Life Magazine Sherlock Holmes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikem

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
I was at CVS Pharmacy the other day and came across this special addition on Sherlock Holmes. Ninety-six pages of articles and illustrations. Just started ready and enjoying.
20220214_090950.jpg

Yep!! Gotta' get this one!!!! Is Basil smoking an old Comoy with the split white bar? I need to do a little research on that marking!! FTRPLT

Answered my own question! He's smoking a pre-1946 (i.e., before the 3-part C) Grand Slam patent!! Nice pipe!! FTRPLT

Last edited:
That sure does look like to be the bar logo for the Comoy's Grand Slam shapes from 1933 to 1945 if I remember correctly. They switched it to the three piece "c" after 1945. I have one or two marked like that one. It is more of a white rectancle, turqoise dot and white rectangle. I think they did that on the ones made in 1933 and 1934 when the pipes are marked "Pat. applied for". Once the patent was issued in late 34 or early 35 the bar logo is all rectangles.

Last edited:
I am hoping the pipe he is shown smoking is a Peterson 9BC or 4AB? Not sure of the alphabet for these old Pete's. Anyone want to guess?

never saw this mag anywhere! Bought one off Amazon for 1/2 the cover price + small shipping charge! Nice mag...haven't read it all yet! FTRPLT

I thought I would share with BOB members my Sherlock Holmes collection. The Persian Slipper I found in Jerusalem. Very lucky to have a tin of Arcadia Mixture. The pipe in the dog holder is a WDC Wellington with nickle band and a acrylic extension I turned for the original vulcanite bit and is a P-Lip. The pipe belonged to my wife's grandfather, the Rev. H.L. Jensen who immigrated from Denmark in 1900. I don't know how old the pipe is, I guess I should research that. The laboratory picture is one taken at 221b Baker Street in London by my wife, who passed away in 2017. She was director of laboratory services in one of our medical centers in Fargo and had it in her office for years. The hand colored print, dated March 1st, 1823, is the Reihenbach Falls in Merrigan, Switzerland that I visited in 2001. My wife bought the print and gave it to me for my birthday. The Volunteer is the name of the pub that is next to 221b in London and is where I had a draft of Cafrey's Ale that was as white as milk when poured. The SH plaque is a copy of the one on his Baker Street home. I also have a chess set, SH on one side, Moriarty on the other, all hand painted that I purchased at the SH Museum store on Baker Street. I'll get it out and take a picture it. I have a number of rare volumes in my library. When I was a kid of 10 yrs the stories of SH fired my imagination and helped me grow-up. Thanks for this thread and the chance to share my collection.
20240222_100809_compress47.jpg
20240222_101136_compress86.jpg
20240222_101120_compress2.jpg

I ended up buying it on Amazon Kindle electronically…about $5.

https://www.amazon.com/LIFE-Sherloc.../ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=
I can see why, the UPC in the corner gave me sticker shock. I can't believe the price for a magazine, I admit I haven't bought one in twenty years.

Retraction: I overlooked the information that it is an exclusive edition, dedicated entirely to the Great Detective. I think the price considering its size (96pp) is more than reasonable.