Life Update (Good News Content!)

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottbtdmb

Reaction score
Good morning BOB,

I really don't post as much as I used to, as there seems to be less and less of the crowd that posted on here when I was a frequent contributor 5-6 years ago. However, there are still plenty of folks on here that I know well and have had many good experiences with, both with chatting and also with trading/buying/selling.

Anyhow, the past month has been an incredible one for me, and I just had to share my good news with my BoB crew. Last month, on May 17th, I married my long-time girlfriend Robin, whom I have been with for 8 years. We had a very small wedding, with only about 50 people in attendance, but it was the perfect day with all of our closest and most intimate friends and family. We were very hands on with the wedding, designing a specific playlist for the DJ to play and Robin took care of a lot of the decorating. The theme for the wedding was 1940's era nostalgia and all of the guys wore fedora hats. Our walk off song after we were pronounced man and wife was Frank Sinatra's "Ring-a-ding-ding"!

The venue where the wedding took place was a bed and breakfast in downtown Havre de Grace, Maryland. The ceremony, reception, and over-night stay was all inclusive, which made things really convenient for us, as well as for out of town guests. The owner of the B&B took care of every little whim, even down to procuring a "fancy" wedding beer for me (Ballast Point Sculpin for any of the craft beer fans on here that care to know). There were two firepits on the property, one of which was the designated smoking section. I smoked a cigar with my father, who probably hadn't smoked a pipe or cigar in over 30 years! It was an extremely special moment to light up a Rocky Patel 1990 Vintage with my dad....one that I will never forget!

There was a cocktail hour in between the ceremony and reception, where we had an old movie montage playing on a TV that we had created using iMovie. The reception itself was fantastic and many people commented that it was the best wedding they had ever attended. We put a lot of personal touch and meaning into the wedding concept, even down to creating a special table paying tribute to both our grandmothers, who had past away. All in all, it was a wonderful day, and I can honestly say I truly know what people say when they claim that their wedding day was the best day of their lives....mine was!

So yeah, I had the wedding on May 17th and then several weeks later I got more GOOD news! I have been working for the county school system for the past 10 years as a custodian. Over the years, I have made several advancements within the system, moving up from a nighttime custodian to a lead custodian in 2007. In 2011, I got promoted to a Chief Custodian and also went back to school to get my Associates Degree in Business Administration. Last month, a position was posted for a Building Manager at the county school system's Administration Building. I put in for it, not expecting to get much more than an interview. It is quite a prestigious position, at the top of the pay grade for our Union. Fortunately for me, between my Associates Degree and recent training in Building Automation and other computer programs, I put myself in a good position to qualify for the job.

After going through the interview process, I was shocked and surprised to get a phone call the following Monday from Human Resources with a job offer!!!! It turns out that the Superintendent of Operations really liked my resume and felt that my interview was outstanding. I am currently enjoying a 4 day mini vacation for 4th of July weekend, and will begin the position this coming Tuesday!

To say I am excited about the job is an understatement. This position comes with a 35% increase in pay and sets me up for more advancement in the future when I am able to get my Bachelors' Degree in Business Administration. The pay increase will enable my wife and I to buy a house later this year and will afford us a lot more financial security. To put it mildly, this could not have come at a better time for us! I worked so hard to further myself in life over the past 10 years. I should've finished school when I was in my early 20's, but life got in the way, and I certainly had my low points back then. However, it truly is never too late to turn things around in life, and I feel that I am a testament to that notion! Hard work, a good education, patience, and motivation really do pay off with time!

So yeah, a little good news for once, lol!

Regards,
Scott

Scott,

Good to see you posting again. Congratulations! And thanks for sharing the good news. :D

Enjoy your 4th of July holiday.

Hey Scott,

Our paths haven't crossed until now so I would like to say a formal 'good afternoon, pleased to make your acquaintance'.

Well done on your recent successes. Sounds like you've played your hand perfectly!

Pip pip!

Scott, congratulations on the new wife and new job! Good to see you posting again as well!

I suppose it is time to start pipe shopping again. Keep in mind, as a married man, it's much easier to ask forgiveness than permission! :lol:

I just love hearing success stories such as this. Congrats on many fronts Scott. Enjoy your new found happiness at work and on the domestic side. You've earned it!

:sunny:

Cheers,

RR

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/us3dQ0nnlHY" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>

That's all great news Scott. Sounds like it's all well deserved too, congrats.

Congratulations, man! That sounds like everything worked out pretty well...

Don't screw it up! :lol!:

Life is exciting isn't it?

Hearty congratulations on your recent successes! Sounds like opportunity has been a frequent visitor at your door - and you've certainly answered. Best of luck to you and the new missus.

Congratulations on all of your recent good fortune and I'm quite pleased to make your acquaintance.

:cheers: