Lighter fluid, Zippo or Clipper?

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

Corncobcon

Reaction score
I am having trouble finding Zippo lighter fluid in town.  Walmart has been out for several weeks. Today I checked again, looked at the price card on the shelf where it is supposed to be and realized it was for butane!  Several other places I looked at either don't carry it or are out.  I finally found some Clipper brand lighter fluid at Casey's.  I hope this is good enough for my Zippo pipe lighter.  Has anyone used the Clipper brand?

Blackhorse

Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score

GeoffC

Reaction score
yeah, folks around me have Ronson. Had to order from Amazon to get Zippo fluid.

Fr_Tom

Chaplain
Reaction score
I bought a gallon container of Walmart "White Gas Camp Fuel." I have a small funnel and refill the Zippo or Ronsonol containers after prying the tops carefully off. The camp fuel has worked splendidly for me. It will take a while to go through the gallon.

Zanaspus

Reaction score
Naptha is naptha. You can buy it as pure paint thinner if you carefully inspect the label. Nothing at all proprietary about it. Butane, on the other hand...

Fr_Tom

Chaplain
Reaction score
Zanaspus":up7vtels said:
Naptha is naptha. You can buy it as pure paint thinner if you carefully inspect the label. Nothing at all proprietary about it. Butane, on the other hand...
This was my thinking. I will say I found Zippo fluid cans back in the camping section. You might be able to order the cans and pick them up at the store if the Zippo brand is important.

Ozark Wizard

Reaction score
I get naphtha for under 20 bucks a gallon at Home Depot for lots of uses, and refill a Ronson lighter fluid squeeze bottle to store and pour for my zippos and Nimrod.

Blackhorse

Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
Ozark Wizard":psj5aqbk said:
I get naphtha for under 20 bucks a gallon at Home Depot for lots of uses, and refill a Ronson lighter fluid squeeze bottle to store and pour for my zippos and Nimrod.

Yeah...$5/qt...$20/gal...that’s pretty standard I think, although some places REALLY overcharge for it. I've seen it for close to $150 a gallon in some stores. God bless America.

Blackhorse

Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
Fr_Tom":cciyuhqh said:
This is what I have been using  LINK

The can says it contains naphtha and rust inhibitors.

Yup. Same stuff. Take ya a LONG time to go through even a quart just using it in a zippo.

D.L.Ruth

Reaction score
So I love the smell of zippo fluid, do they all smell the same?

huffelpuff

Reaction score
Yup naptha is naptha. I have been used bbq lighter fluid with no issues and no off flavors either. Lots of good cheaper substitutes out there if you look.

Jim