Lighter rant

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idlefellow

Reaction score
I got tired of my old Zippo always running dry so I purchased a Thunderbird butane torch insert for it.  The thing worked fine for a few years and finally it stopped taking butane and wouldn't fill for some reason.  I've always used the good stuff in it so no idea why that happened.

Anyway they make a big deal out of their No Proof warranty, so I sent it back to them with the little attached card filled out; cost me $3.50 shipping.  Here's a copy of their warranty form; notice it makes no mention of any fee etc.

6TzrYtLl.jpg

Yesterday I got a phone call from them saying I neglected to send the $12.00 "shipping fee".  I can buy these things all day long brand new for 12-13 bucks, so obviously their "no-proof warranty" is just to send me a replacement which I get to pay for.  Pretty good racket, huh?  I really wouldn't have a problem with it if they'd just state the truth up front; would have saved me $3.50.   I'll buy another I suppose but this doesn't leave a good taste.

Wow how are they shipping it? That's more than 3x the shipping you paid, must be super shipping. That's why I like ten warranties on things you can bring to any supporting dealer and get a true no fee warranty.

This reminds me of the TV scam of "2nd one for free"...just pay a shipping fee. A shipping fee that is at least as much as the entire cost of manufacturing said product. They're out absolutely nothing. It costs next to nothing to manufacture that lighter. $12 covers the cost of shipping, the cost of manufacturing, and in all likeliness, provides even a little padding to actually make some sort of profit on the warrantied replacement. That kind of stuff drives me INSANE. BYE-BYE. You get no more of my business, AND I'm now going to make a point of giving you anti-advertising and letting other people know your scammy BS. By all means, allow me to aid you in your shortsighted business plan.

I switched over to Vertigo lighters, light EVERY single time, are clear so that you can see how much butane is in the reservoir, and $12.00 new.

Update: I called them and complained and they lowered the fee to $6. Since I was already $3.50 in I went ahead - $9.50 as opposed to $13 or so for a new one. But I won't be falling for their warranty scam in the future!