Lighters I like, what are yours?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
KevinM":3jc7b5p4 said:
I'm enjoying this very much. My favorite Annie Proulx short story is titled "Tits Up in a Ditch." I don't think there is an unnecessary or imperfectly placed word in it. First time I read it I immediately went back to the beginning. It's perfection in prose. The title fits it perfectly, and no other would do, or even come close. Read it and you'll never forget what "tits up" means.
You know what, I'm going to find a copy online and read the book. Appreciate the recommendation!!

PS
It's a short story and I found it on The New Yorker

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Being an old military/Air Force guy; I'm sittin' here LMAO that some have never heard (or used little) the term "tits up!" Generally we pilot-types used the phrase to mean we were going to lay down/go to bed/take a nap (as in on your back with your "tits up."). ''I'm going tits up" simply told your buddies you were going to bed. Or someone might ask "Where is so-and-so," the reply being he's "tits up" at the moment (meaning he's asleep somewhere). Could also mean you were passed out from a bit too much alcohol, not that such a thing ever happened to me :p :p :p FWIW :cheers: FTRPLT

BTW...Just for clarification, the term had no sexual connotation; we had plenty of other terms for that!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lonecoyote":4ghx4pq3 said:
KevinM":4ghx4pq3 said:
I'm enjoying this very much. My favorite Annie Proulx short story is titled "Tits Up in a Ditch." I don't think there is an unnecessary or imperfectly placed word in it. First time I read it I immediately went back to the beginning. It's perfection in prose. The title fits it perfectly, and no other would do, or even come close. Read it and you'll never forget what "tits up" means.
You know what, I'm going to find a copy online and read the book. Appreciate the recommendation!!

PS
It's a short story and I found it on The New Yorker

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
That's where it was first published. It's since been published
in her latest short story collection titled, "Fine Just the Way it is" I think. I hope you enjoy it.

Well, thinking about it, I never had issue with grandpa's brass Zippo. I have a few others, use matches, butanes, sticks from fires or candles. But that old brassy still works.

Well, I've been drinking my coffee relaxing and reading a book " with my tits up "! Just figured I'd let ya'll know. Oops, time to sit up and take my morning meds so I guess now " it's tits down "!

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!