Liking Latakia

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alfredo_buscatti

Reaction score
I liked latakia for only the first year or two of pipe smoking; then I decided I didn't like it and only smoked it sporadically over the years. This year I decided to smoke it with an open mind; to my delight I find I like it again.

My tobacco choices regarding latakia were defined by an idea I thought I understood from pipe culture, but I don't know if that idea was shared by others or if I came upon it idiosyncratically. The idea that I thought I learned from the culture was that latakia is a special tobacco class. You either like it or you don't, and there is something about it that many times polarizes smokers. Other non-latakia tobacco classes are not like latakia and don't naturally fall into the firm like or don't like practice.

Do I have this right? Is there really such an idea about latakia?

Well, speaking for myself. There are some Latakia mixtures I really like, and others that I find to be too spicy. If there is a category of people who love it, people who hate it, and people who go either way, I would be in the later group.

Alfredo_Buscatti":2khnkprr said:
You either like it or you don't, and there is something about it that many times polarizes smokers.
While not making any pretense of being an expert in the field, I'd say that Latakia MUST be well-liked by a great many pipe smokers since it is an ingredient in such a great many blends ... plus, there are numerous pipers for whom it is one of the components in most, if not all, of the blends they favor ... that said, I'm not among those who care for it ... I find it has an unpleasant characteristic that dominates anything it is paired with and I long ago ruled it out of any blend I buy ...

Perhaps that's a long-winded way of saying you're right about there being those that like it and those that don't ... but, being an old son of Ireland, I have a tendency to be long-winded much of the time.

Don't feel alone, Mike. I explored English blends years ago and then went back to aromatics for many a moon. This year I went back to English blends and love them. In fact, I smoke about 80% english/balkan blends these days - if that tells you anything.

As far as class - we here in 'The Empire' view all as equals and no specific classes exist.  :twisted: 

Of course smoking what one likes is the grand maxim, but I'm trying to find out if the views that I sketched are indeed part of pipe tobacco folklore. I'm questioning what I feel I learned a long time ago in the effort to evaluate if this is just my understanding or if others learned the same, too.

I believe it's like any tobacco blend. I really like Vapers, but there are some I can't stand. I've had a few Latakia blends and I can take or leave most. Upon trying Pembroke, I really seemed to like it, but not as a everyday smoke. Just my opinion.

alfredo_buscatti":reiv4zso said:
Of course smoking what one likes is the grand maxim, but I'm trying to find out if the views that I sketched are indeed part of pipe tobacco folklore. I'm questioning what I feel I learned a long time ago in the effort to evaluate if this is just my understanding or if others learned the same, too.
You hit the nail on the head. IT'S ALL FOLKLORE as far as what's said ! Mainly it's this guys OPINION vs that guys OPINION on pipes, tobacco, pouches etc. Likes come and go, that's just fact. 30 years ago I was a CONFIRMED Balkan/English smoker for over 30 years (759/965 my two daily smokes) and now you would have to pry my Va Flakes out of my hands on my deathbed!! Yeah for Folklore !!  :cheers:   :twisted: 

I've come back to Lats over the last year as well. I avoided it for years but after a tin of GLP Meridian I found it quite pleasant again. Comes and goes I guess.

alfredo_buscatti":d8kbgez1 said:
The idea that I thought I learned from the culture was that latakia is a special tobacco class. You either like it or you don't, and there is something about it that many times polarizes smokers.

Do I have this right? Is there really such an idea about latakia?
I agree with what you're saying here, for the most part. I think latakia is more distinctive than most other classes of tobacco, and unless used extremely sparingly (eg, GLPs Fillmore), it's always detectable and often the dominant flavor/aroma. I think when anything is that unique and it doesn't really hide behind other types of tobacco nor does it ever fully meld with others (for me, a VaLat tastes like Virginia and latakia...not some new experience that truly fuses the two). So yes, I think its very much a hot and cold sort of thing...at least from my own personal experience and from what I've gleaned from other pipe smokers over time.

The only caveat I'd throw in is that its not as permanent as liking it or not...it probably goes without saying, but certainly personal tastes evolve, vacillate, and otherwise change over time. So I'd say that lat is something you either like or don't like right now.

I've always thought of Latakia in the same way people view Islay whiskies. Some people come to them with preconceived notions, some find them by accident, and many either like them very much or find the flavor/aroma profile off putting. But in the end - as everyone has already said - it's the beauty of tobacco that we have so many incredible choices.

If I hadn't been strongly introduced to LatWeed many years ago, I probably would have given up the pipe as Burleys and aros were killing my tongue!!!! I love LatWeed, but tastes and tolerances do change. Two years ago (roughly), I found myself easing into the GinnyWeed world; then into VaPers (some, not all). Then I ventured back into Burleys (Solani ABF, how do I love thee??), even finding that I enjoyed PA & CH!!!!!! IMHO, LatWeed is like Perique- some pipers don't like it at all. Some enjoy large doses while others enjoy less. Kinda an individual thing for us pipers!!!!! FWIW, FTRPLT

Northern Neil":64zr2l6u said:
Well, speaking for myself. There are some Latakia mixtures I really like, and others that I find to be too spicy. If there is a category of people who love it, people who hate it, and people who go either way, I would be in the later group.
I've never thought of lat blends as spicy..well at least unless they have maybe perique like Chelsea Morning. I would say that blends fall into one of the following for me...

- complex and captivating
- creamy and delicious
- lat overload
- boring

The first two I typically enjoy more than the latter two which are often interchangable for the same kind of blend. I will say that in most cases I "get in the mood" for latakia. Especially when it comes to the heavier lat blends, I usually break it out when I just get overtaken by one of those "ya know what I'm in the mood for" moments. For whatever reason, during the colder months I'm reaching for the latakia blends quite often however.

Love latakia. It was my first tobacco love. It's my strongest tobacco love. Unfortunately, there are very few latakia blends I love and have loved.

There are a couple Latakias that I really love.

I started piping again a few years back after a LONG layoff and all I smoked in my return were Lats. I have since eased up on them, veering way more into the VA realm. I'll say though, after smoking more Va's, VaPers, VaBurs (non-lats) I can appreciate Lats way more, I can also more easily differentiate and pick out the tiny differences between a variety of Latakia blends heavy and light. Prior to educating my palate on various VA blends, and due to the overpowering characteristics of Latakia I had trouble doing so prior.

Years ago, I loved Lat forward blends. These days, not so much.

Beyond a certain point the Latakia overwhelms the other components to me. I prefer it it as a sparingly used condiment these days.

That said, sometimes nothing like Bishop's Move, Margate, or Peretti's Royal Bend will do. When I'm in that mood, mind.

Cheers,

RR

I think the original question is this: Is it a piping cultural belief that your must either love or hate Latakia?

I don't think it's a true statement or something that most pipers believe. Having said that I do think that some puffers, usually the loudest and most boorish, will make statements like "I hate latakia, I won't smoke any blend with it" That type of uncompromising statement tends to make folks pick a side and that leads to the love it/ hate it impression.

Myself, I try to keep an open mind to any blend. I prefer certain types of tobacco truly, but I'm always willing to try something different. I'm even willing to retry something I previously disliked because my tastes seem to change overtime?

"I'm even willing to retry something I previously disliked because my tastes seem to change overtime." This is me.

I really don't think I grew to dislike latakia when I was a young pipe smoker. I think I learned to wonder if I was supposed to like it, decided I didn't, and then missed out on lat blends for years. I came to the conclusion that although I liked it, I always liked other tobaccos more; and that there was support in the culture to regard either liking it or disliking it as the norm.

Smoking it again at this time I find that it's dandy. Very flavorful, and usually has orientals in it, which is a big plus for me. Orientals are like wild cards, usually having a very different, distinct taste. What I'm trying to do is reach out to all the tobaccos that are out there and not just stay within my comfort zone.

When I discovered Latakia about 3-4 years ago, I just could not get enough of it. I even smoked it neat at times.

Then I met VA's and Vapers which pushed the latakia blends in the background. For about the last 12 months, I did not smoke latakia because I did not like it so much anymore.

Two weeks ago I bought a tin of Pete's Old Dublin. And I'm back into latakia again! Smoked a bowl of Old Dublin in my MM Diplomat last night, sipping it like a good scotch. What a wonderful experience !! And, I'm allowed to smoke it indoors. My new wife isn't crazy about the smell but she says she can tolerate it, as long as I don't overdo things.

So, do not dump a baccy you don't like anymore. Keep it because chances are good you will want it again in the future.