Lil help; stuck stem

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idlefellow

Reaction score
Took my ancient Dunhill billiard fishing and left it in the truck overnight with the remains of a fill of SWR :oops: . Now the stem is stuck tighter than a crab's a$$! I've tried the old freezer trick twice - nothing. Next step? Thanks...

Oooh, bummer!

I would think the freezing trick would work. Have you tried putting it in a baggie of uncooked rice? Drying it out might help.

Yeah, me too. I've tried it several times, leaving it in longer each time. Overnight once! Nothing. I feel like I really screwed up this time. Trying to let it dry out now; it's been really humid here.

You could try dribbling a bit of high-proof alcohol into the stem/shank junction. That will melt any tars that may be binding the tenon in place. Warning that it may also strip the wax finish from the shank. An eye dropper may help target the right area.

Thanks; good idea. I had actually considered something similar. Right now it's "soaking" in a bag of rice. I'd also thought of just firing it up to see if the heat would release whatever is holding it. Never had this happen before to this extent!

A treasured ancient Dunhill briar that is solidly jammed might well be sent to a professional person for repair. Far better than forcing it just a little too much and snapping off the tenon.

Best of luck.

Blackhorse":ggdxj20y said:
A treasured ancient Dunhill briar that is solidly jammed might well be sent to a professional person for repair.  Far better than forcing it just a little too much and snapping off the tenon.

Best of luck.
This would be my inclination too, if the easy stuff does not do it.