Limburger cheese

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm have never tried limburger, which is weird because I love cheese. There are very few that I have tried and didn't like.

I have had it a few times and it's okay in my books. It can pair pretty well with a high tannin dry red wine. I know the German's typically favor a wine made from the blaufrankisch varietal with it. Very dark skin grape, late ripening & high in tannins. Quite capable of cutting through the funk and cleansing the palate.

I know limburger has a reputation for being stinky, but I have had a few washed rind soft cheeses that my father favors that are leagues more stinky than any limburger I have sampled, epecially if you let them warm up to room temp before cutting into them. Pee-yew.. :affraid:

Scored some Limburger earlier this week. It's been too many years since I've had this and after checking around I found a German import shop in the Phoenix area which had some in stock. So I ran over there and snagged the last they had.

Kind of expensive at $8 for 200 gm (about 7 oz) but they were the only place I could get it locally. I looked on-line and Amazon had it but wanted about twice for shipping than the cheese since it had to be refrigerated.

The store that had it is a little shop waaaay on the east side of Phoenix, almost in Scottsdale. And that's about as far east of downtown Phoenix as I am west. yet the route to get there was real easy and only took about 40 min.  

Upon entering I noticed a sign that said they didn't take credit or debit cards, only cash or checks. Fortunately I had just enough cash on me to pay for the cheese, and they also had some great looking local baked bread but sadly I didn't have enough cash for that. Looks like a return visit is in order.

Had the Limburger today with some great local artisan bread, the real chewy whole grain kind. Cut off a couple good slices and spread it on the bread, as the cheese texture is semi-soft. Pretty stinky, but it tastes better than it smells!  

Paired it with some very sour sauerkraut, red radishes, and a honey crisp apple. No beer or wine, just plain water.

Interesting how the nature of the Limburger seemed to influence the other elements. In fact I found the best way was to eat the other dishes separately and not mix with the cheese, since it seemed to linger over the flavors of the others a bit too much. In any case I'm pleased enough with the Limburger to finish it off over the next week or so.

I've had some very stinky artisan Belgian cheese in the past which defies description, and Limburger seems tame compared to that!

Cheers,

RR

That was one thing I really liked about the Phoenix area. The whole city is set up on a grid system. Super easy to get anywhere in fairly short order. Glad you found a specialty shop you like. I remember there being a great selection of beer there as well. Enjoy that smelly cheese bro!

Jim

huffelpuff":wf7v1ggi said:
That was one thing I really liked about the Phoenix area. The whole city is set up on a grid system. Super easy to get anywhere in fairly short order. Glad you found a specialty shop you like. I remember there being a great selection of beer there as well. Enjoy that smelly cheese bro!

Jim
I do remember Phoenix having quite the beer selection.

Had to renew my acquaintance with Limburger this week. The local supermarket stocks it now, the real stuff from Germany. I tried some that was made in Wisconsin, but it was waaay less stinky and blander.

So this past week I got a loaf of fresh baked caraway rye from the local bakers, the Limburger, spread some grated extra hot horseradish on the bread, and diced up some green onions to put on it. Also got some icicle radishes from the produce section as a side dish. Hadn't had or seen them since I was a kid.

All in all it made a very tasty lunch. Man that horseradish is hot though!

:cherry:

Cheers,

RR