lockpicking - so much for those locks being worth the money

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeno Marx

Reaction score
If you watch this sort of thing (ie are into locks), I'm sure this is of no surprise. I don't think most people are keyed into picking locks as a hobby or for criminal purposes (pun intended). They buy what is recommended, or what is the biggest or most expensive, and that's the end of this utility decision. When I rode a bike for my main transportation in a bigger city, I bought the biggest Master padlock at whatever store I was in's shelf and coupled it with a cable. Heavy, but not as heavy as those U-locks. I only considered weight and whether a smallish bolt cutter would be able to chomp the lock. If they want the bike, they're going to get it. I can't worry, and lessen, my life about it. Looks like spending $15 was smarter than spending $100+ and lugging around a giant specialized lock was a good move.

This youtube channel popped up in the recommendations. I got curious. Blew my mind. A couple things: 1) how quickly, and seemingly easily, this guy opened these $125 bike locks 2) that he designed, and is now selling, a little tool to pick locks. Don't be a criminal, but help criminals. Capitalism is grand. I do have to admit that watching a couple of his videos was fascinating. The U-lock found at Walmart that what most people likely buy is even more useless than the ones that come recommended and are shown in this video. They can't easily cut the metal, but the lock mechanism is the weak link.

I like this guy, the lockpicking lawyer, but I like even better bosnian bill mentioned in this video.

After watching some bosnian bill videos and ordering a set of Sparrows picks he recommended it blew my mind that I could pick the Master locks we have around the house. I only practice on locks that I own. It's a good skill to have.

I watch LPL, it’s crazy how a lock can be “pick proof” the lock picking lawyer gets it opened.

Gonna have to check out Bosnian bill.