Long Golden Flake-Tasting Notes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrumsAndBeer

Reaction score
I rarely find myself wanting to write a tobacco review, but I sure do enjoy reading other people's. Perhaps I fall into such a meditative state with certain blends that it’s counter intuitive to think at all about the experience and instead I just opt for enjoying the ride.

That said, in an effort to buck that trend I decided to try taking tasting notes while smoke one of my all time favorite blends in a little more of a free form way as I was smoking it. I am very familiar with Long Golden Flake, and honestly when I first tried it I had no such experience as the one described in my notes below. That said, it’s quite revealing to me that I developed a more knowledgeable palate for this tobacco, and the process of completing this exercise was quite fun and easy. Once I got going it was just a matter of finding the right rhythm - taste and write, taste and write….. no hurry, just an emphasis on writing what I was experiencing but still enjoying the ride.

IMHO this is a superlative blend. It has all the attributes of a smoke that puts me on cloud 9 (subtleties, nooks and crannies, secrets to reveal to the patient piper). If you are a fan of Vapers, ahem...sorry Vaperburs, (a little Burley in there) you owe it to yourself to pick some of this stuff up.

R-LGF
Pipe- Stanwell FW

Packed flake vertically with a touch rubbed out on top.
Light - Immediate toasted rye bread sweetness and spice upon light. Superb balance sweet/sour/spice very complex. Smooth body lively mouth feel. Much more hay like/barn-yardy than PS LNF. Sour complexity on the tongue, spice note is excellent. Deep / earthy chile tones, charred smoked poblano peppers in vinegar. Slight caraway seed note, black pepper, edgy citrus notes more lemony than orange.

Transition to mid bowl - sweet pickled cherry pepper relish flavor border line burning tire rubber, spice really intensifies. Firm pungent piquancy and tang, not fatiguing at all, supported still by honey like essence. Scent of exhaled smoke reminiscent of highway grass fire.

Near end - Flavors are surprisingly calm, mellow and unified, no moisture problems, no bite, mouth feel has softened out, no nuttiness or grain like flavors, just soft very condensed flavor, complexities have died down. Comforting flavors, soothing to the palate. Breathe technique heats the bowl a bit much but draws a very satisfying cool burnt currant like flavor. As sweetness builds towards the end, smoke scent becomes reminiscent of July 4th fireworks. Altogether not a major ramping up of flavors or intensity end bowl. .

Altogether very awesome, flavorful, wonderful smoke output. Thoroughly satisfying smoke, moderate nic. Handful of relights a couple by design, 5 matches.

Very descriptive review D&B! Nice job!

I bought some LGF based on your review last week.

However, I need to get some mason jars this week before I open any more tins. :)

Cheers,

BHB

Hey thanks for the reply you guys. BHB, I hope you enjoy this one.

I have kept my LGF in its little paint can container for months and it has not dried out or degraded in quality whatsoever. So don't be shy about popping that lid and trying it out. :D

DrumsAndBeer":1vbcyj5l said:
Hey thanks for the reply you guys. BHB, I hope you enjoy this one.

I have kept my LGF in its little paint can container for months and it has not dried out or degraded in quality whatsoever. So don't be shy about popping that lid and trying it out. :D
Thanks! D&B you rock!