LONGCHAMP 4-Pipe boxed set

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bulldog Bruce

Reaction score
Just recieved from Mom a boxed set of Lonchamp estate pipes that were my Dads. He's gone now to a better place so can't ask him about them. Appear to be a medium billiard, (unsmoked), a small billiard, a medium or small bulldog, and a little kind of squashed bulldog, maybe a bullcap? All leather wrapped. Pipes sit in felt lined depresions, top inner lid silk lined w/LONGCHAMP, FRANCE, and goodsized logo above it. Can't tell if covering on box is faux or dried out leather. All 4 pipes have a 'metal thingie' that screws into the tenon. On two of them it extends into the bowl about 1/8 inch. They look like a drill bit, kind of like the airway cleaner that screws out of the base of a SENIOR PIPE-REAMER. We were in France in the late 50's, and may have been purchased there. If I'm not mistaken, LONGCHAMP's were available in PXs allso, and we were all over the world. I could take a shot of them with our digtial camara, but don.t know how to load into comp. or send. My daughter can do this e-mail. Any info appreciated.

Bulldog Bruce

Never Forget!

This is information that dates to about 2002, but I believe still accurate:

"LONGCHAMP was founded over 50 years ago in Paris, France. Toward the end of the 1930's, the Cassegrain family began operating the "Au Sultan" tobacco store on Boulevard Poissonnie're. Soon after the liberation of France from the occupying forces of Nazi Germany, during WWII, Jean Cassegrain put his creative spirit to work. To give his stock of pipes a new look, he had the idea of covering them with leather. A family of leather goods makers and a trademark were born as Jean Cassegrain felt that this budding success needed a name and an emblem. In 1948, he chose LONGCHAMP and the symbol (LOGO) of a galloping horse in tribute to the famous Parisian race track. Today, LONGCHAMP is still owned and run by the Cassegrain family; but, the famous leather-covered smoking pipes are no longer produced among the wide range of LONGCHAMP's well respected leather products."

... dennis

Thanks Dennis, very helpful. About all I new fer sure was they were French. :scratch: I picked-up some 190 proof pipe cleaner up there in MT also,not avail. here in the Gem state and will be giving those pipes a try soon as cleaned. :D

Bruce

Never Forget!

Ran across this (old) thread while searching for information about a Longchamp pipe that my mother picked up for me this past summer at a flea-market in Southern Ohio. After I started collecting pipes, Mom bought several for me at flea-markets and yard sales for my collection. I'm fairly certain she paid $1 for this one.

It has the metal "drillbit" style filter still intact, and is in remarkable shape. It needs cleaned up, but I'm looking forward to seeing how it smokes.

iphoto12.jpg

I only started actually looking into the history/background of pipes in my collection in the past few days and have been surprised at some of the finds I didn't realize I had.

Hermit":csgx57cg said:
oops...just noticed this is a three year old thread. :oops:
Probably my fault for digging up the old thread. Glad to see some other Longchamps. Will work on getting mine cleaned up tonight.

roogles":sborsqhh said:
Hermit":sborsqhh said:
oops...just noticed this is a three year old thread. :oops:
Probably my fault for digging up the old thread. Glad to see some other Longchamps. Will work on getting mine cleaned up tonight.
Nuthin' wrong with that.

I'd still like to see the pictures
of that four pipe set.