Longtime reader of the forum newly registered

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PreppyHippy

Reaction score
Gentlemen and all ladies:

I've been a regular reader of the forum for a long time but hesitant to join because, well, I fear becoming addicted to posting. As I'm sure many of you will acknowledge, it's fun just to be an observer for a long time, in many things in life that is, and sometimes one just doesn't want to walk onto the playing field and start feeling a part of the scrum.

I've watched the conversations here and from the stands seen the many different personalities and tastes here and certainly respect all of them and the abundant expressions of goodwill and helpful care members give each other and new members. Even from the stands, I want to say, the sportspersonship on the field of this forum looks admirable and worthy of any viewer's respect.

I've been smoking pipes for ten years, although I did so sporatically for years before that. Sometimes I don't smoke very much and sometimes I do. I smoke english blends, balkans, and the associated orientals. (And I'm aware, as you all are, of how those different terms can mean the same thing--or the flux of those terms. I use them never the less just to try to communicate the genre field of that smoke I like.) I also enjoy straight virginias and am now trying out lakeland blends (in meerschaum) because I want to know what that part of pipe tradition entails. I've smoked many but certainly not all of the often mentioned tins of the tobacco strains I enjoy.

I've gone through several phases in my pipe gathering. For a long time I was in my army mount pipe phase, and am now in a sandblasted pipe phase, I guess. Although I'm well stocked in Peterson and Savinelli pipes, and a few Stanwells, I'm certainly in an english classic pipes phase, and have been for most of my pipe smoking time. I've built a gathering of older Barlings, older Comoy's, and older Charatans. I've added several smooth and classic shaped meerschaums and a gourd calabash. I use a Corona Old Boy lighter and I'm in a phase of gathering and rotating old three-piece tools and odd old tampers. (I enjoy the gadgetry of the high maintenance that pipe smoking brings.)

I register here to be able to ask all the silly questions that I've been too embarrassed to ask. That and to say the usual, whatever comes to mind, that truly reflects my joys and my dislikes about the wonderful gourmand hobby we have of seeing our time and lives enriched because--amazing as it is--smoke itself has flavor when certain leaves are burned in certain ways. How rich it makes us to experience these flavors we would never have known exist if we didn't set up the way we have to put them across our tastebuds.

Until our later posts then, and the sharing of our thoughts on our stuff!

Very best wishes.

Welcome to the forums! I'm sure there won't be many 'silly questions' that we haven't asked, at least to ourselves!

"T"

Welcome! I appreciate classic British makes, so I'll look forward to seeing the pieces on your rack.

Hermit, DrumsAndBeer (smoking in Northern California is surely great--I miss hiking with family out there), Dbreazeale, Ejames, and the famous Rob_In_MO: thank you for your welcomes and look forward to posting discussions with all of you.

DrT999, I'm not yet going to start out with "How can I use my pipe smoking habit to increase the frequency of practicing making babies with pretty ladies?", but last weekend I thought of some thread question that would surely doom me as a fool. For the life of me I can't remember it since, but as we all know our thread questions live in us sometimes for a long time before we mentally form them. Whatever the thread idea was it struck me as a doozy of foolish ignorance, and now I can't wait until it occurs to me again. I'll post it and make a point of mentioning it was something I was too afraid to ask.

Riff raff, I have admired your restoration and pipe winning stories with pictures very much and I look forward to showing you the briar that makes my heart beat but you're going to hate the result because I'm more of a straight pipe appreciator than you are. I'm one of those people you'll be glad exist because there will be all the more GBD bent bulls/rhodesians with wide bowl walls for you to consume.

I can't remember the details but I remember that new members can't post photographs immediately so it will take me some time/posts put any up. Also I'm not like Harlock with his camera and camera skills (wow!). My pictures will only be able to give a general idea since I'll be holding the pipes before my computer's camera.

Thanks again, gentlemen.

PreppyHippy":fk98slnt said:
and the famous Rob_In_MO
I think he means Infamous. :twisted:

palpat11.gif

Ok, seriously now - ask away, Brother! There's always someone around who will be more than happy to try to help. Perhaps at the same time, you can answer questions others might have as well. Either way, don't just lurk - join in the madness fun. :mrgreen:

Welcome and enjoy your time here. You are in a good area for smoking....sort of...I grew up down in Waldorf, MD and worked in DC for a few years. Enjoy your time here.

Thank you Friar_Jay and Grayson, I look forward to putting thoughts in your threads when I imagine I can help.

Kaiser, I've naturally seen many of your posts and I wish you were still in my region so we could get a few bowls fired together.

PreppyHippy":05sqge2t said:
Thank you Friar_Jay and Grayson, I look forward to putting thoughts in your threads when I imagine I can help.

Kaiser, I've naturally seen many of your posts and I wish you were still in my region so we could get a few bowls fired together.
Lol, I suppose Kyle, Rob, and I are not very easy to avoid. I swing through that area once every couple years brother. I will message u next time through.