Looking @ a J.M. Boswell

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bulldog Bruce

Reaction score
Still a newb and am slowly building smoking pipe collection. Have decided after some sage advice from non-newbies to stay away from estates for now. Any one have experiances, good or bad, and anthing to pass on about J.M,s. work? How do they smoke?

Bulldog Bruce

Never Forget

Bruce,

I don't have any experience with Boswell's but everyone seems to think they are a great value. I have heard a lot of good things about his pipes.

I am mainly responding to this because of the comment you made about estates. IMHO estate pipes are a great value. I wouldn't necessarily advise a "newbie" ( I don't like that term), to stay away from estate pipes. There is nothing wrong with estate pipes at all. As I said they can be great values and you can also pick up higher grade pipes that way for an affordable price. Some of them might need a little TLC but sometimes that is part of the fun of purchasing a pipe. I have rarely ever seen a pipe that cannot be rejuvenated to near new condition. Most of the time with just a little grain alcohol, pipe cleaners and some elbow grease.

Thanks justpipes. By staying away from estates, I meant I had an unfortunate experience on ebay. I have decided to stick to places I 'know' like right here for estate pipes mostly, and maybe the merchants. One of the reasons for looking at J.M.s is I can choose finish, bowl size, stem, etc. As a matter of fact I have a very fine estate pipe in transit too me as we speak from a well known brother of ours who spends a lot of time on this board. :D By the way, I have my daughter helping me put togather my Avatar because Im such a comp. idiot, and when I figure out how to get it approved and posted, I can guarantee you'l see Ol Glory. P.S. I was born south of the Masey Dixie.

Bulldog Bruce

Never Forget

Bruce,
I have 4 Boswells; all are excellent smokers. The only advice I would give is to try and get an acrylic stem, his vulcanite seems to oxidize faster than most. Nice people to deal with also

Thanks for insite. They sure are easy to work with on phone or cyber either one. Looks like I may be getting one.

Bulldog Bruce

Never Forget

Hi Bruce,

I have about 20 Boswells now and each one of them provides a perfect smoke every time. Can't ask for much more than that from a pipe, eh? Everyone I have recommended them to has loved them as well.

As far as estate pipes go, I share your sentiments regarding EBay, however, there are many reputable dealers that provide excellent pipes and service. Mike at Briar Blues and the folks at smokingpipes.com are wonderful resources for good clean estate pipes. I highly recommend both.

I have bee n smoking for 4 years and own 22 pipes out of the 22 pipea 1 is not estate the rest a picked up in concinement stores and antique stors i love them. You dont need to deal with braking in the pipe they are well seasoned and usuraly each pipe has its own story behind it so i say estates are grate.