Looking for cake

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phrozenfearz

Reaction score
Hello forums,

As a pipe-newbie with nobody to go to, I've been wondering what pipe cake actually looks like. Searching on google images yields one image that may be usable and then hundreds of pictures of cakes. I've smoked my Stanwell well over 10-20 times and yet nothing seems to be building at all. I'm slightly worried, as I don't want to burn through the bowl, so if you guys could post some images or tips regarding cake and cake building.

Thanks,
phrzn

Pfff... Relax. :D

Some pipes (and tobaccos) build up faster than others, but they will all build up. I had a Peterson that I waited and waited for cake on, and then one day I realized that I couldn't even get my tamper down the pipe, and it used to take my thumb no problem. Lotsa cake - it sneaks up.

Real cake is fairly hard, sometimes a little shiny, black charcoal-y stuff - basically a layer of burned or mostly burned tobacco that has just decided to stick to the pipe wall. Your stanwell probably came with a coated bowl, so it is protected already.

Cake or no cake, if you smoke a pipe really hot (too hot to hold the bowl against your cheek, for example) then you are in danger. If you moderate your pace, and keep the pipe happily warm, you'll never burn it out.

I doubt you are in any danger. I had a very good pipe VERY early in my smoking, and mistreated it foully out of ignorance, and to this day, it is still one of my best smokers.

Burleys such as Prince Albert build up cake fast. Virginias build slower but the cake is tougher.

I concur with Sasquatch.

By the time you realize you have cake, you'll need to ream it back..... Then you'll be freaking out over how to do that. I'm not picking, we all freak over our favorite pipes.

Taking care of a pipe is far easier than we want it to be.. Basically if we don't smoke it so hot we can't hold it and knock the dottle out every now and then it'll take care of itself..... I have pipes that I tear apart and laboriously clean after every smoke...but I also have a pipe that I haven't did anything more than swab a papertowel in the bowl and a cleaner in the shank every now and then, I've deliberatly been neglecting 'proper' care for almost a year and a half and it still smokes fine.

Worry over it as much or as little as you like, it won't matter to the extent that we have come to believe.

In that case I won't worry so much about it, then. Thank you guys very much for the reassurance. Although I'm sure if I still don't see cake weeks from now I'll be back with the same panicked question. :p

I'm smoking a tobacco I got from The Tinder Box called "The Philosopher". I'm afraid I don't know if it's a Virginian or a burley. All I know is that it's an English blend. Do you guys have any idea?

Cheers,
phrzn

Thanks Doc, for that site. It's at the top of my bookmarks list!

Based on what you guys have said, would I be correct in assuming that the Philosopher (as a Virginian) will be slow to build cake, but as a result, the cake will be stronger? Is stronger cake a good thing?

I find cake to be virtually irrelevant, to be honest. Strong, weak, thick, thin. Whatever.

Smoke slowly and don't overheat your pipe. :cheers:

I agree with Sasquatch. Unless you're buying $400 pipes and a real nuance fanatic, it's not something to get real concerned about. I've noticed Virginia cakes don't gouge so easy when reaming. Otherwise, just puff so the pipe don't get uncomfortabley hot. Your pipe may of come pre carbonized. Many do now. I don't own any Stanwells so I don't know for sure.

Thanks for putting my mind at ease, guys. I've started shaking the ash around in my bowl before cleaning it. This causes a very thin layer of ash to collect on the walls. I'm hoping that this will help speed things up (even if it's just for ease of mind).

The Stanwell did come pre-carbonized along the walls... I'm not sure about the bottom.

Last time I smoked, I left the tobacco out for a little longer than I normally do (to dry) because I took a phone call while waiting. Anyway, I noticed it burned much easier but also much hotter. A few times the bowl became too hot to hold against my cheek comfortably. I just stopped puffing and let the bowl cool down, but it happened a few times. Given such a situation, what would you guys do?

Thanks,
phrzn

I would do what you did... either slow down the puffing, or let the pipe rest awhile then re-light.

I find the benefits of dry tobacco outweigh the negatives, but it's a personal thing for sure.

If the bowl came pre-carbonized, getting it too hot occasionally shouldn't hurt as long as you don't make a habit of it.