Looking for suggestions

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thistleoak

Reaction score
Here up North I usually am seen sporting a slouch beanie, I am searching for a new style hat to wear that is a little more refined and mature. Was hoping to get some suggestions on where to start, I've heard a lot of hats look better with certain facial features and bone structures. Any help would be appreciated.

Well, you axed. In my opinion, if you have a beard, you can get away with wearing any dang hat you want. They just always look "right" on a bearded dude. Something about the balance. I favor bucket hats in inclement weather, but that isn't much of an upgrade from what you're wearing now. If you don't want to go full fedora, how about a flat cap (newsboy, ivy, duckbill, etc.)? I love wearing them backwards, but in some venues that might seem an affectation, so I just reverse it to normal. The one in the pic is from Duluth Trading Co. For a quality duckbill, I'd use these guys: https://www.bostonscally.com/

To me, a real hat has a good brim, whether fedora, cowboy hat, or Akubra. David Morgan has some cool ones. I sometimes wear a fedora when I want to feel like my old man. Kind of an irony thing. I think they look best on a clean-shaven humanoid. I personally think you would look good in a bowler. Would you dare? Try Village Hat Shop.

I own two of these warm versatile Russian Hats.
Also has that rugged outdoorsman look.

nQwypaM.jpg" style="width: 500px;height: 500px

veLWVep.jpg" style="width: 500px;height: 500px

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Richard....you could pass for Jacks brother!! I'm sure you've must have heard that before!?!?!?

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Lonecoyote":46rbx03l said:
Richard....you could pass for Jacks brother!! I'm sure you've must have heard that before!?!?!?
Hey, this is about hats, not me. But in answer to your question, no, never. I'm usually mistaken for the young Brad Pitt. Or the Greek god Apollo.

Richard Burley":zxy7qv5d said:
Hey, this is about hats, not me. But in answer to your question, no, never. I'm usually mistaken for the young Brad Pitt. Or the Greek god Apollo.
Your an extremely witty person. As for me I look more like Brads brother...Arm.

Now let's get back to hats.... Alex, picture of the most popular hats sold today. Only ONE hat pictured would not suit you and I'll let you be the judge of that!

MTP8dgu.jpg" style="width: 500px;height: 500px

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

The Stormy Kromer is always a popular option especially in Michigan. Mine has done quite well at keeping my bald head warm for a few years now. In the deepest part of winter here though I do break out the heavy Russian fur hats. Not for everybody though.

Jim

Thank you everyone. I have some ideas to chew on... I might get bold and try a bowler..

Thistleoak":246cguez said:
Thank you everyone. I have some ideas to chew on... I might get bold and try a bowler..
DON'T get a Bowler! They only work with grey striped trousers and a Black coat , the usual British bankers outfit! Get a Derby if you must and they are DIFFERENT! Ones British (Bowler) and the other's American ( Derby). Try David Morgan for what the old Stetsons used to be , the Australian hat maker Akubra! The best factory made fur felt hats made! And if you get a brimmed hat DON'T get a wool one, stick with a fur felt! They last rain, sleet, or snow !!

I used to have a blog bookmarked for a guy in either Washington or Oregon who made vintage style wool bicycle caps out of wool sweaters he found at garage sales and thrift stores. I thought they looked very smart. He had a couple different versions. I can't find the blog now, but I bet you can find something similar on Etsy under "wool cycling cap".

I'm fond of the Akubras, though I just have the one.  My Territory; would match up well with a beard I'm thinkin'...

XHyIdU3l.jpg

Idlefellow":t12576sw said:
I'm fond of the Akubras, though I just have the one.  My Territory; would match up well with a beard I'm thinkin'...

XHyIdU3l.jpg
That might be the ticket there