Looking for work?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puros_bran

Reaction score
Fords Louisville Assembly Plant will be hiring at least 1800 and up to 2900 in 2011.

Gulfstream Jets will be hiring in Savannah, Ga. about 1000 people too.

I'd love to know how many applications those places receive when the resume gates officially open. I'll bet it's over 100,000, at least one from every state in the country, and the cops will have to be called for crowd control.

Also, Amazon plans to build a distribution center in Cayce, South Carolina (just outside Columbia, SC) and will be the bringing over 1200 new jobs to the area not to mention the construction work.

Jim

Bear in mind that announcements like these are just that . . . announcements.

They're statements that boil down to saying, "We intend to . . ." which is, in turn, based on economic projections (i.e., guesses -- hopefully informed ones, but still guesses).

As conditions change, projections change with them. I recall one big plant, built in New Stanton, Penna., that was built but sat empty for years because conditions changed.

The way the economy is going -- nationally and globally -- I will be surprised if those three reach the point where they're finished, staffed and shipping product.

A bird in the hand, and all that.

:face:

Yak":zgb3iqoh said:

They're statements that boil down to saying, "We intend to . . ." which is, in turn, based on economic projections (i.e., guesses -- hopefully informed ones, but still guesses).

As conditions change, projections change with them. I recall one big plant, built in New Stanton, Penna., that was built but sat empty for years because conditions changed.

The way the economy is going -- nationally and globally -- I will be surprised if those three reach the point where they're finished, staffed and shipping product.

Not a glass half full kinda guy, huh? :twisted:

Rad

Yak":e8315li1 said:

While that's all true and large multi-million dollar companies have and will nix large projects mid stream, last I heard Ford is actually making money. Hmmm, might have something to do with the fact that they are the only one of the big 3 that didn't invite the gov in to help them out and run things for them, in exchange for a quick buck.
I don't know anything about the other two.

Thats all fine and dandy Yak but considering Ford was the only American maker not to take the bail out, and that Louisville Assembly has remained open through a ton of shut downs, and considering the Focus, The Edge, The Escape and other smaller (cheaper) vehicles will be made there, added to the fact that labor is slightly cheaper in Kentucky.. AND The Citys relationship goes back to 1913 with the Model T and has been in partnership every since you can poo poo it all you want, it don't change reality.

LL, I'll tell you what I told another Brother.. You turn an application in and wait for a job you're screwed.. If you want the job, persue it, chase it, follow after it some more... They will either hire you or get a court order for you to leave them alone.. don't settle for less. It's not the number of apps turned in, it's making sure they see and remember you.

Oh yeah, work starts in nine days for the remodeling.. you sub contractors might want to look at a Louisville Paper or pull some handshake strings. (unless Yak is right and its just designed as a ploy to shut the plants down without anyone noticing :roll: )

Rad Davis":z44pdy35 said:
Not a glass half full kinda guy, huh? :twisted:

Rad
You noticed there are several half empty glasses around here too?!

Hey JP.. shouldn't you be out training to over throw the government or something instead of trolling up the boards?

Re: Ford not taking the bailout.

Two new Ford trucks purchased by lifelong Chevy men sit in the parking lot at work,,,the reason?,,,Ford stood on its own.
Two women are going shopping for Ford focus (focii?) this weekend,,,Dodge and Buick owners,,,same reason.
It HAS sparked some discussion,,,