Loose stem-

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregE

Reaction score
I have an old kaywoodie that I have kept soley because it is the only pipe that fits into the pocket of my tobacco pouch, but unfortunately the stem (which slides into the body of the pipe) is now a loose fit, and I am always afraid it will fall apart when I am using it. Is there a quick fix for making this connection more secure and snug? I thank you brothers in advance for your saged wisdom.

You can hold the tenon in boiling water for a bit, get it soft, then push on it to make it bulge out a bit. If it gets too big, just sand it down a little!

Another option is to put a little beeswax on the tenon (not too much!).

Hope you get it straight!

-Mike.

Thanks Mike, that is going to be next on my "to-do" list....

Rather than sand it down a little if you get it too big, heat it up, let it shrink back and try again. Vulcanite has a great memory and will go right back to its original shape when you heat it back up.

Also, try sticking something like a knitting needle or anything with a gradual taper into the tenon to make it bigger. It'll give you a much more uniform size increase than pushing it on a flat surface, and you'll have much more control. Just go slow.

Rad

You can just use clear nail polish on the tenon, that will tighten it up

I boiled water and held the tenon in the boiled water for a few minutes, then pushed an ice pick into the tenon hole of the insert part of the mouthpiece....it worked great, I have an old peterson pipe that needs the same treatment...the only problem is that the business end of the tenon that was held in the boiling water is now a different (lighter) black then the rest of the mouthpiece. Did I just hold it in there too long, and is there a remedy for my discolored tenon end of the mouthpiece? Its just a cheap lovable pipe, and it doesnt matter, but when I do my big peterson pipe, I want to do it right.....what ancient technique have I left undone, to the despair of my beloved pipes? Is there some mystic incantation that I should mutter in a breathy whisper as I perform the majical rites of heating the tenon?
What language should I utter as I repeat this hidden "briar brothers" spell.... Do I need a special briar wizards hat? Pointy shoes? Astrological cape? :joker: I appreciate your confidence, and wont betray the honored trust of our brotherhood....I am just a simple apprentice to the mystery of the briar.... :shock: