Loose Stems

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smoker13

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
This problem which once vexed me with a beautiful Nachtwalter autograph pipe (technically still  does even though I haven't smoked it in a decade) has recently reared its ugly head with a favorite little Iafisco lovat.  And NO, I didn't try removing or otherwise turning the stem while the pipe was still hot from smoking.  I just loaded it up for a morning smoke and voila, the problem showed itself.

So what is the best way to remedy this bothersome problem?  Ten years ago found me holding a flame 6 inches beneath the endof the stem and turning it around for a few seconds before replacing (jamming?) it back in, hoping that the vulcanite had expanded enough to keep the stem in place.

This method would work, but unfortunately it wouldn't solve theproblem permanently, so I'd be heating up the stem periodically until I gave up on it.

Has any progress been made in this department since? What is the best way to get a loose stem to once again fit properly?

Brewdude's beeswax method works very well and I've used it and had good success. However for a more permanent solution I heat the tenon over a candle flame to soften it a bit and then I take a nail with the diameter being just a little larger than that of the draft hole and drive the nail about a quarter inch into the tenon. This will evenly increase the diameter of the first quarter inch of the tenon and make a nice snug fit that should last. If the fit is still a little loose repeat the process with a larger nail. Either method will do the trick. :)

AJ

Hmmm...I have done the "bee's wax" thingy to fine results without resorting to flame!! I'm not brave enough nor good enough to try AJ's method :) Generally just smoking the pipe more frequently works for me. Good luck :cheers: FTRPLT

ajn27511":42r4vv7n said:
Brewdude's beeswax method works very well and I've used it and had good success. However for a more permanent solution I heat the tenon over a candle flame to soften it a bit and then I take a nail with the diameter being just a little larger than that of the draft hole and drive the nail about a quarter inch into the tenon. This will evenly increase the diameter of the first quarter inch of the tenon and make a nice snug fit that should last. If the fit is still a little loose repeat the process with a larger nail. Either method will do the trick. :)

AJ
This is the right way to do it. The wrong way is what I did for the first 30 years I smoked a pipe.I would heat the tenon with my lighter and press it on a table. Dip it in some cold water and try it. These days I use bees wax, and I would probably use the proper method if I had to resort to heating it up.

If you haven't smoked the pipe for a while, a smoke will sometimes provide enough moisture to tighten things up.

Dem guys above--yep. In case there's anyone who doesn't know, tiny cakes of beeswax can be had at health food emporia for about a buck U.S., as I remember, and one used for pipe smokerly purposes should last about a century by my reckoning. (This doesn't include meerschaum rewaxing, I wouldn't think. I know zip about the latter.)

My approach is to snip a tiny strip of paper, put it on the end of the mouthpiece and slip it into the pipe. ( size -- start with maybe .25 X 1") If it's still loose, cut a little wider strip. If it's now too tight, cut a smaller strip. The strip shouldn't be so long that it protrudes into the airway. Then just tear off any tag end that extends out of the pipe stem. I like the paper that come as advert cards in magazines, but any quality paper will serve.  No flame. Nothing can go amiss that can't be easily remedied. Usually, a few smokes also works, though not always. Easy peezy.

KevinM":dfyfgjyd said:
My approach is to snip a tiny strip of paper, put it on the end of the mouthpiece and slip it into the pipe. ( size -- start with maybe .25 X 1") If it's still loose, cut a little wider strip. If it's now too tight, cut a smaller strip. The strip shouldn't be so long that it protrudes into the airway. Then just tear off any tag end that extends out of the pipe stem. I like the paper that come as advert cards in magazines, but any quality paper will serve.  No flame. Nothing can go amiss that can't be easily remedied. Usually, a few smokes also works, though not always. Easy peezy.
Ha! This was what my father did.

Yep, tried and true. I remember my grandfather and his friends using this method in an effort to prolong the service of a favorite "coupon pipe."

Thanks to all for the Beeswax solution. It's proven to be the Bee's Knees! I'm completely satisfied with the outcome I've had on 3 troublesome pipes. The Brotherhood prevails yet again!

ftrplt":5qsj6knd said:
Hmmm...I have done the "bee's wax" thingy to fine results without resorting to flame!! I'm not brave enough nor good enough to try AJ's method :) Generally just smoking the pipe more frequently works for me. Good luck :cheers: FTRPLT
Me too. I have a sweet looking Chacom 815 I bought as new old stock. The only problem was a loose stem. As I couldn't wait to try my new pipe I just got to smoking it and low and behold she smokes perfectly. Now the stem didn't tighten right up but it's nowhere near as loose as it was and I find no reason to fiddle with it.

It's a miracle!