Lost the Love for Latakia

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdamCordray

Reaction score
Over the past year I have been smoking almost exclusively Virginia based blends, whether it’s a straight VA, blended with Turkish/Orientals, Burley/KY, Perique, or any combination of the above. I just can’t seem to stomach Latakia anymore. About the most I can do is GL Pease Fillmore but even something like Laurel Heights disagrees with my palate. Just the smell of Latakia is enough to turn me off... I find it a little odd, and can’t determine what’s changed with my taste. In the past I enjoyed English and Balkan blends, and a significant portion of my cellar contains Latakia to some extent. I’m not in any hurry to start selling off tobacco — I suppose part of me hopes I will drift back towards them in the future. Anyone else gone through something like this?

Adam

Yeah, me--in reverse. I detested latakia for a decade or so when starting out on this glorious vice. I find it refreshing after straight virginias, burleys, whatever.

I used to smoke 95% robust Englishes. Now I smoke 95% Virginias. I've always liked both. I always had a tin of Escudo opened and smoking. If I get real reflective about it, I don't think my tongue and tastes have changed. I still love the flavor of latakia. I just don't crave it like I once did. Now, I find myself craving Virginia. I also think it has to do with trying newer latakia blends and not thinking very highly of them and the demise of my staples, like BS759. The Virginia blender game is still playing at a high level, while I don't find that to be the same for English blends, which makes sense because some of the components are no longer available at all. And aging isn't driving the English blends.

I've had the exact same experience over the past year or two, except for me, it's gotten to the point that I actually unloaded almost everything I had containing Latakia. I always bring an extra cob or clay to the pipe club meetup and sample a Lat blend to see if anything has changed, or if there is an unfamiliar Lat blend that agrees with me. At this point I have not had great results. I guess I'll just have to enjoy the VAs.

You are not alone Adam. My observations over 30+ years quite a few pipers that go full bore into heavy lat blends get burnt out on them. I believe this is probably going to happen even more now as Cyprian lat is a different beast than Syrian. If you have any old tins of Syrian lat blends you might try smoking those and see if they are a problem too. If you don't want to sell off you could try blending a VA you like with very small amounts of your lat blends and see how you do. All I can offer are my condolences I hope things straighten out for you taste wise. I'm sure the other brothers will chime in. I know Brewdude went through this as well as Blackhorse I believe.

Best of luck
Jim

Wow, that's too bad, but hold on to those lat blends, because some day you might want to go back to them. With me, I had a problem with perique blends and some Virginias. I use to enjoy them a lot, but then I couldn't get to smoking them without my stomach getting turned inside out. I just put them away and maybe will try some of them in the near future. With lat blends, I have always liked them, and have never tired of them... yet!

I really enjoy Latakia but as my taste for Virginia based blends has developed, I have found that I strongly prefer Latakia almost strictly in a condiment role. Blends like Tashkent and Margate are about as heavy as I like it.

If I smoke over the top Lat-heavy Englishes, I typically have take a break from piping to reset my taste-buds if I want to go back to enjoying my favorite Virginia based blends. Heavy Latakia's tend to screw with my ability to taste complexities in milder mixtures.

huffelpuff":o55lcs8a said:
You are not alone Adam. My observations over 30+ years quite a few pipers that go full bore into heavy lat blends get burnt out on them. I believe this is probably going to happen even more now as Cyprian lat is a different beast than Syrian. If you have any old tins of Syrian lat blends you might try smoking those and see if they are a problem too. If you don't want to sell off you could try blending a VA you like with very small amounts of your lat blends and see how you do. All I can offer are my condolences I hope things straighten out for you taste wise. I'm sure the other brothers will chime in. I know Brewdude went through this as well as Blackhorse I believe.[

Best of luck
Jim
Right on Jim. Used to love it many years ago. Now, not so much. And while I don't hate it I rarely reach for a lat blend.

Cheers,

RR

It happened to me too, a few years ago.
I used to love it, now I don't. :pale:
I still have a bunch of it to get rid of.
I suppose the Dunhills and McClellands should be easy to sell/trade.

As long as its pretty condimental I'm OK with Latakia. But its getting to where the last tin of vintage Syrian I got I mixed it fifty/fifty with some Virginias to tone it down. I've been working on a tin of red rapparee for the second year now... It's well decanted!

But tastes sometimes come and go, no worries!

For anyone who wants to get rid of the latakia, PM me as I would like to be the recipient of that nasty stuff.

hobie1dog":9e9i1tqz said:
For anyone who wants to get rid of the latakia, PM me as I would like to be the recipient of that nasty stuff.
I'll remember this going forward. But it will have to wait until after my move to AZ in a month.

;)

Cheers,

RR

Having smoked (what I & some others consider) the finest English/Balkan ever blended, BS 759 for almost 30 years I was introduced to the world of NC Va's as blended by the folks in KC, McClellands and I moved away from Latakia focused blends only with an occasional tin or two of 965 finally settling on one Va blend, Royal Yacht with an occasional bowl or two of Arango's Balkan Supreme. After 50 years of pipe smoking this is where I'm at, a Va lover who likes to dip into the world of Latakia occasionally. :twisted: :twisted:

I’m exactly in the same place. Smoked L Weed for years and gradually started drifting away then abruptly couldn’t stand it at all. Don’t know why so many guys go through this...but many, many do. Weird. I can still enjoy Dark Fired Kentucky though. But mostly I prefer the sweeter meats...VA & Burley & Turkish & Cigar Leaf either alone or in various blends. No loss. Still PLENTY of stuff to enjoy.

probably the reason why i smoke a pipe is latakia. if it ever happens to me that i do not like it anymore...then i will smoke cigars only. it never happened in over 40 years of smoking so it is very unlikely that it happens. i only smoke one or two pipes a day.

DrumsAndBeer":ubqvyk75 said:
I really enjoy Latakia but as my taste for Virginia based blends has developed, I have found that I strongly prefer Latakia almost strictly in a condiment role. Blends like Tashkent and Margate are about as heavy as I like it.

If I smoke over the top Lat-heavy Englishes, I typically have take a break from piping to reset my taste-buds if I want to go back to enjoying my favorite Virginia based blends. Heavy Latakia's tend to screw with my ability to taste complexities in milder mixtures.
The voice of reason, as usual. Three thumbs up!

Still a "Lat Head" after all these years!! I enjoy Ginnyweed, VaPer, Va/Oriental, some Burleys, even a very few aros. But the lure of Latweed always pulls me back!!! Just finished a 10-year-old jar of PS Balkan Supreme. Just devine, glad I have more!! :cheers: FTRPLT

Blackhorse":sbu7zpxa said:
I’m exactly in the same place. Smoked L Weed for years and gradually started drifting away then abruptly couldn’t stand it at all. Don’t know why so many guys go through this...but many, many do. Weird. I can still enjoy Dark Fired Kentucky though. But mostly I prefer the sweeter meats...VA & Burley & Turkish & Cigar Leaf either alone or in various blends. No loss. Still PLENTY of stuff to enjoy.
I used to smoke a few bowls of the earlier, better Balkan Sobranie a day. As time has gone on, I need less latakia in my life. I think one of the reasons many get tired of it as we get older is because taste buds can dull with age, and latakia can dull the tongue, both aspects making the experience less enjoyable.

And sometimes, enough is just enough.