Louisville, KY

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idbowman

Reaction score
My wife and I will be taking a little getaway trip next week to Louisville, KY, Cincinnati, OH and Columbus, OH.

I've got Cincy and Columbus covered - I know them both well.

Any good tobacco shops I need to visit while in Louisville? I'll have plenty of stuff with me, so I don't need an "emergency" smoke shop to get me through, but if there's a good, old school, tobacconist I always like to pop in, have a look around, and spend a few dollars. Any one have any good tips?

Not for a pipe smoker.

Kremers is the closest thing we have to a decent pipe store and even then it's severely lacking. The only good thing is the tins to be had will have some age on them.
Oxmoor Smoke Shop in Oxmoor mall will be glad to sell you mac baren bulk, I think it was $7 an ounce last time I was in there.

As far as a vast cigar selection Kremer is the best game in town.
Now for Cigars priced right and sometimes even the rare stuff try the Liquer Barn. Kid you not...

Don't get your hopes up for this tobacco state being smoker friendly.. The only place you can smoke is Churchill Downs or outside away from a door, in a designated area.

puros_bran":lgfc5yq9 said:
Not for a pipe smoker.

Kremers is the closest thing we have to a decent pipe store and even then it's severely lacking.  The only good thing is the tins to be had will have some age on them.
Oxmoor Smoke Shop in Oxmoor mall will be glad to sell you mac baren bulk, I think it was $7 an ounce last time I was in there.

As far as a vast cigar selection Kremer is the best game in town.
Now for Cigars priced right and sometimes even the rare stuff try the Liquer Barn.  Kid you not...  

Don't get your hopes up for this tobacco state being smoker friendly.. The only place you can smoke is Churchill Downs or outside away from a door, in a designated area.

My car remains smoker-friendly, so I've got that much covered. Sounds like there's no real point to venturing out to find a B&M, at any rate. Still - if I'm close by I might pop in to to this Kremers to see what sorts of tins are on the shelf with some age.

Thanks PB - probably saved me a bunch of time driving around for no good reason.

Out of curiosity..
What's bringing you to town?

Don't forget there are races scheduled  Thursday-Sunday at Churchill Downs all through the month of June.

There's an incredible huge gun show on the 11th & 12th.

Mike Linnigs is a great place for fish..
And if you are willing to take a small drive for a flash back to the 70's icecream joint (killer shakes)  drive about 5miles into Indiana (west on I-64) to Pollys Freeze in Georgetown Indiana.
Best pizza in Louisville used to be Wicks, probably still is but I haven't ventured out much the last couple years.

Do yourself a favor and catch a Bats game if they are in town. Cheap fun..

Looking for a little history...
The Patton Muesum down in Fort Knox is still interesting even though they moved the armored Muesum to Texass.
And down in the wee small town of Brandenburg you can visit the local where John Morgan and his raiders assaulted the Union stronghold of Indiana..and eat a mean pizza in our old jail house., they'll show you where we used to hang men if you ask. Kinda creepy, kinda cool.

I can't remember what you like and I have no clue what the Mrs likes or I could probably make a few more recommendations.

We like to visit Zoos when we take vacations. We were going to do more further south, but we need to stay somewhat close to home as she might get called in for a second job interview and we'd need to scoot back home. So we're doing Columbus and Cincinnati, which we've done a million times but love and figured we'd extend the trip down to Louisville.

Sounds like we'll be getting there right when the races are on (getting in Friday night, heading up to Cincy on Monday).

Other than the zoo, I've insisted that we go to the Slugger museum and there's some crockware something or another she wants to visit. We're actually staying across the river in IN, and we're both suckers for ice cream, so that sounds like a damn fine suggestion.

Across the river probably means the north side of town.. Off I-65.

We have a pretty decent Zoo.

If you are interested in an incredibly cool thing to do check out a walk on the Big 4 Bridge. It's a retired rail bridge across the Ohio. Nice little walk, beyond awesome thing to do early in the night when the light it up.. Magnificent view of Louisville and what I call North Louisville (New Albany, Clarksville, Jeffersonville, Indiana)

Heres the website to the icecream joint. http://pollysfreeze.com