Lucite vs Vulcanite?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davey

Reaction score
Ok a different thread got me thinking outside the box again.
What is the benefit of one to the other. I see some high grade pipes that still use lucite(acrylic?) over vulcanite. What is the deal when the rubber meets the road here?

Davey The Learner

Some find vulacanite a little sofeter on the teeth.It's main draw back is that it can and does oxidize qute quiclky.

Lucite is much stronger and stays shiny forever.Some find it too hard on the teeth though.

If given a choice I'd always pick lucite...

Best,
Dock
:pipe:

I'm with Dock on this topic, Lucite to me just makes more sense. There are those who feel as strongly about vulcanite, Its all a personal choice...

Davey,

I use to always prefer vulcanite stems because of them being softer until I discovered pipe bits. As stated above the draw back with vulcanite is the oxidation. I use Briar Pipe Wipe on my stems and it slows the oxidation way down on the vulcanite stems but eventually they will have to be lightly sanded and buffed out. I do my own from time to time to keep them shiny. As Dock said the lucite stems maintain their shine forever as long as you keep them clean and they are much more durable. Some folks are fond of the Cumberland material which is like vulcanite but it has the redish swirls in it and doesn't show the oxidation as bad plus it is soft like vulcanite. It really is basically a colored vulcanite.

lately I have been using the very fine grit soft finger nail files to file the oxidation out of my stems and then use a jewlers ruge to buff them by hand. It's work but well worth it.

I really like the ebonite that Mike and Rad use. What category does that fall into?

Agreed Jason, the ebonite stems are nice also. Maybe Mike or Rad will weigh in on this.

As far as I'm aware, vulcanite and ebonite are basically the same material.

The product sold in most of Europe is usually refered to as ebonite, and that sold in the U.K. and U.S. is referred to as vulcanite.

There are dozens of grades of vulcanite/ebonite , usually defined by the amount of "impurities" in the raw materials, and many variations in the formulas used to produce the end product.

Quality can vary quite a bit from one producer to another, and even from batch to batch.

With the number of manufactures of either rod stock or molded stems diminishing, I sometimes wonder how long the availability of high quality vulcanite/ebonite will continue.

Mike

Wow, great stuff guys.

I don't feel bad that my Il Ceppo has a Lucite stem now. :lol:

Mark, Speaking of bit protectors, i think that is my next purchase. i tried one of my brothers ( Lucky) and I really like them. Plus i can clench when needed and not feel as though I am abusing my red-headed step child. :p

Davey,

Believe it or not pipe bits are one of the greatest discoveries that I have made for myself when it comes to pipe smoking.

I'm eagerly awaiting word on how absylux works out as a stem material. I know it's in the early stages of experimentation as a stem material but it's alleged to be soft on the teeth like vulcanite yet easy to maintain like lucite. Looking forward to hearing the findings of those carvers who are presently toying with it.

I don't know what my pipes have as far as stems, but I do like the bit protectors! I would wreck the crap out of my stems if I didn't have those things on. I glad I invested the $3.00 for what they do!

Lucky

Puff Daddy":i8z1l2xp said:
I'm eagerly awaiting word on how absylux works out as a stem material. I know it's in the early stages of experimentation as a stem material but it's alleged to be soft on the teeth like vulcanite yet easy to maintain like lucite. Looking forward to hearing the findings of those carvers who are presently toying with it.
PD, that sounds interesting. I am interested to learn more about it also.