Mac Baren Dark Twist

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carlos

Administrator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
So when did old Mac Baren Dark Twist become modern Mac Baren Dark Twist?

I never paid attention. I have an old tin. Unsure of the age. Has a 6 digit zip for the importer. This isn't cavendish like the modern stuff. The description reads: Mac Baren has manufactured the dark cakes from selected dark fired Virginia and from perique tobaccos. - The golden cakes are made from fine matured Virginia tobacco. - Together they make a spicy and satisfying blend.

Price on the bottom of the 2oz tin is $2.50

Spicy is right, I am sitting here with sweat running off my head. :tongue:

Carlos:

I still have some of the old Dark Twist in my cellar. It was once a favorite, but I haven't smoked any in years. Mighty tasty stuff.

So, did they change it, or what? :confused:

Carlos":9uvlgtob said:
It's now a Virginia, Cavendish and a touch of burley. The Cavendish is specially spiced.
Oh, terrific...Cavendish—the Wild Card of Weedage. That's sorta like "democracy", innit? It comes in all flavors, and you're never really sure how much resemblance any of it actually bears to the original. (Grrrrr...where's that "Feh!" smiley when I need it?!)

Ah, well...I'll content myself with my remaining stash of the real Dark Twist. Maybe by the time it's gone, I'll have perfected Dr. Vito's Extra Dark Twisted Navy Drum Rolls. :star:

I was looking over TR. You know how that site is, but some useful information can be gleaned from there. Only a few posts made mention of a perique like taste. So I suspect it's something that changed some time ago. Because my tin lists perique in the blend. There is no doubt when faced with the printed word and the experience of smoking a bowl.

Serves me right for losing touch with the MacBaren line. So many weedages...so little time... :roll:

The truth is that I lost my taste for the Mac Baren tobaccos after smoking them fairly continuously for about twenty years, starting in 1967. More precisely, it was more a matter of my wanting to explore other things. Most notably, the early '80s marked the renaissance of my affection for the serious Latweeds.

It wasn't my first period of mild disaffection with Mac Baren weedages, but it finally reached the point wherein they started tasting more alike than different. Even their Latakia stuff was toned down...Mac Barenized, somehow—de-balled to the point wherein it didn't satisfy my Latcravings. So, I stuck the weed in the cellar and there it sits to this day. I have some fairly old weed, still unmolested. The stuff is prolly pretty good by now, I imagine. :twisted: :mrgreen: