Mac Baren Navy Flake

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I've never been big on Mac Baren's offerings. To me, I found pretty much everything they make to bite like a rabid dog. This particular Mac Baren product appears to be the exception. I purchased it on a recommendation posted by another user.

The flakes come in a 100 gm tin, which cost $12.50 USD at the local B&M. They are light brown in color and come in tightly packed slices. I choose to fold my flake tobaccos as I feel that is how they are intended to be smoked.

I chose to use about a group 4 size Wilke billiard. That was a wise choice as this pipe smokes well with anything. The tobacco burned well and with no bite, which I found surprising. I very nice, mildly sweet tobacco flavor and aroma. It never caused a gurgle. This product has easily found it's way to me top 5 tobacco list.

It increases in strength somewhat at mid bowl, but never overpowering. An overall good smoke that one could puff on all day.

Highly recommended.

It sure is a good smoke!!! I do think its the best that MacBarens(sp) puts out even tho I like the #1 Va but not anywhere near as good as the Navy Flake :sunny: :sunny:

Smoking most of MacBarens blends give me the sensation of hot thumb tacks in the mouth, but not so with their Navy Flake. It's one of my favorite tobaccos and more so since Iwan Ries and JR Cigars are selling it for about $25 a pound. I've found too that it's pretty consistent from tin to tin.

Here's a link to MacBaren's website page(s) about flake tobacco along with a recommended way of filling your pipe with flakes:

MacBaren's Flake Info Page

Jim

I'm a fan of Navy Flake, especially when i want something lighter. It sort of has a refreshing green tea kind of flavor to me.

I just bought a lb. of this,rubbing it out gave me a little tongue bite,but smoking it in the flake form was so much better.This is a solid go-to tobacco and I'll keep some on hand from now on.

Winslow

MBNF is a favorite, as is many of the Mac Baren blends. Smoke them with respect and you will be bite free.

I have heard excellent things about this blend as well. I might have to give it a shot.

I received my very first Tin of this yesterday in the mail. My initial impression of it was very good, although I've only smoked 2 bowls of it so far I kinda have a feeling this is going to be one of my frequently smoked 'Backys for awhile.

I feel that it is a great smoke. This is what I have been smoking a lot of since I picked it up on a whim at J&R about a month ago.

Just opened a tin myself... I haven't had any for a couple of years. It has enough nic kick to be satisfying and then some, and a nice toasty/sweet taste, with the sweetness coming through more in the sidestream smoke for me.... it tastes sweeter when I'm not actually puffing at it.

Awesome tobacco. Desert Island stuff.

Navy Flake really is the flagship of the MacBaren blends IMO. Most of the rest of them I find are strangely scented & bite me.